Have you ever replaced just the tire?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I need new tires for my trailer. Looking at the prices and man are they expensive. My tires are tubeless and was wondering what it would take to replace just the tire while keeping the old wheel. What does it take to do this?

They are 16" tires with 9" rims.

Yeah, of course. No reason to replace a rim unless it's damaged or rusted (or you find a combo cheaper than just a tire).

When buying 9" tires just make sure you get some that are DOT Highway rated and you're good to go.

You can change them at home with a couple of pry bars and an air compressor, but it's much easier to just pay the $10 at a tire store and have them mounted and balanced.

I would get new tires and rims. I have never heard of 9" rims. They are usually 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 inch rims. I would be worried about finding a replacement tire if you were on a trip somewhere in the middle of the sticks and needed one. I would switch to 12" rims if it were my trailer.

My trailer had worn and dry rotted tires when I bought it. I found a pair of brand new wheels (tires & rims) on craigslist for $60, but I know that's a rare find. Normally, I would just bite the bullet and have new tires mounted. Make sure you have a good spare while you're at it.

I just replaced the set, the difference between mounting a new tire to old rims vs the entire wheel ready to go was about 10$. Mine are 8" rims, I believe.

I have a very old set of tire irons and replace small tires all the time.

Just look at the tire size and pay attention to the # of holes for lugs. I bet you have a 4 hole pattern and tires are actually 4.80x12. Yes these can be expensive, maybe $30-$45.
Tim

Latest posts