Help picking a trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I just bought a 1648 jon boat and want a good transom mount trolling motor. I'm more than likely going with a minn kota. I want at least a 45lb thrust. What I want to know is what trolling motor has the strongest mounting bracket that fits really tight down on the transom? I am going to be in rough water sometimes and I need a strong bracketed trolling motor. I was looking at the traxxas series or endura series. It doesn't really matter to me as long as the motor stays in place when I'm cruising in rough water.

Any suggestions? Oh I'm just using a tiller model to,no foot pedal. I just want to know it won't pop off the transom and I can tighten it down without breaking the mount. Thanks for any help,also to on what's the best battery to use. I'm staying with 12 volt max so 55lb thrust is my limit.

I've got a 40lb transom Endura and I have just abused it , rocks, trees,stumps and so far its held up well. I can tighten it down and has yet to break the mount

I have a Riptide, and this thing is beefy!

In the past I've had several Endura's and haven't broken the mounts on any, but the mount on the Riptide is a whole lot beefier.

I need to pick out a trolling motor as well but would like a foot feed mounted up front. Is there a way to figure the shaft length you need without having the boat in the water?

I guessed at 45" for a 1448 with a good attitude in the water. So far its perfect, really rough water might be tough.

I'm going with the traxxas minn kota,it's going in saltwater and I know it will be ok. Freshwater or saltwater trolling motors are all water tight,there is very little differences between them,the only real difference is an added anode and better mounting bolts,ss bolts. As long as I clean it off at the end of the day it will be fine. I take good care of my stuff. The rip tide is nice but the traxxas is so user friendly and can be stowed up in seconds with one hand,plus big price difference. So that is what I'm going with,45lb thurst should be perfect.

Latest posts