I Blame It All On You Guys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billvsthefish

Reaction score
Its all your fault. Leading me astray like this. See it all started when i was innocently looking at fishing videos on youtube, and there was this guy in a converted jon boat zipping along upriver without a care in the world. Out west here, we usually float along in a drift boat. Mckenzie style, or if i was rich, a North river. Seriously though, my F-I-L has a older koffler and sometimes i'm able to go with him. Sometimes not (**** Work). Between carpal tunnel and arthritis, rowing doesn't work for me. Some cool people put up pics, videos of their mods, ect and i figured i could put one together. So here it is:
A 1972 Sears 1636. Tape measure says its really 15' 10" but its close enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,013
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,013
Some more pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,010
  • IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,010
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,010
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,010
Its been a fun, challenging project. I am the first to admit that i am a Sh&%%y carpenter. Horrible, but its function over form right? Not a very good painter either, but i think it looks ok ish..... The boat is a kick in the pants, goes about 30-35 upriver. Its powered by a Kawasaki 750 sx that is almost completely stock. Has the necessary block off plates, after market impellor, intake grate, and ride plate. I work in a plywood mill, so blems are cheap, and the paint is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Had its sea trial last weekend, so now its time to chase the fish. I have a few other pics, wish i had took more during the build. Might put up a youtube vid when i figure out how to. And there will always be little things to change or adjust later on......Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,008
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 2,008
That's awesome man =D> =D> Give yourself some credit, this is no simple mod, you've built one sweet arse jet boat here :shock: I was looking at the Rustoleum Smoke Gray, but ended up with some Sherwin Williams stuff, if you have a good shot of the color, I'd love to see it.

Looks like fun. Nice work.
Id try to move that boat up on the trailer a lot more and get the bunks to support the transom.

Killer modification Bill! I especially liked the steering and throttle arrangement ala Air Boat control stick. =D>
Glad to have you on here.....suffer like the rest of us :D

That's very cool Bill. Very nice work on a complicated build. I'm impressed.

Oh....welcome to TinBoats. We'll be happy to take the blame too! :LOL2:

we've got broad shoulders, so throw it on, no problems. Nice work for a lousy carpenter, you do good work. As someone said, your project was not a simple R&R. hope you enjoy for years.

haha! i'm about 95% complete on mine, although it's not tin, but a fiberglass flatbottom boat. just working out the electrical bugs right now. it starts and runs! just buttoning up a key start ignition system this weekend hopefully.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I still have a little to do here and there, but its fishable. Ya, i do get funny looks too! Thanks for the spoon idea Jamie, it saved the day. I was having cavitation issues in riffle/chop, would barely climb upriver unless it was glassy. Now it goes where ever i point it. Hope to be able to take her out this weekend.....Bill

So here is the spoon i made, nothing special, but it took care of my cavitating issue. Its made up of a 2 x 4 and a 2x2 screwed together to make it 5 1/2" wide and 18" long. The front is delta cut ( ^ ) at 45*. And the back slope is some where around 30*. I used 1/2" strips of 1/6 veneer to shape the spoon. 5 stacked in the middle, 4 on each side of that and so on. Side to side and front to back. I put 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and resin, then rattle can white. Silicone and 2 stainless wood screws holding it on. My strakes are 1" and the spoon hangs down an 1 1/2" below them. But it was worth it. Hopefully this helps someone else:

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    900.3 KB · Views: 1,838
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    980 KB · Views: 1,838

Latest posts