Is My Boat Sunk?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgb24

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought this boat for what appears to be to much. After I bought the boat I noticed a lot of epoxy or bondo where the trailer rubs the bottom of the boat. My stomach sank, and I kicked myself in the butt. Under the bondo I found these holes. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is my boat as good as sunk?

Thanks!

Attachments

• boat bottom.jpg
    boat bottom.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Boat Bottom 1.jpg
    Boat Bottom 1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Boat Bottom 2.jpg
    Boat Bottom 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 1,266
That damage was caused by electrolysis, likely from staying in contact with a damp surface. If that hull is a weldable alloy of aluminum, it could be repaired by placing backing material on the inside, and welding the holes up. Another method would be to weld aluminum angle along those damaged gutters, welding all around, to seal it up.

You might also be able to repair it with 5200. Put the boat in the sun, or a heated shop, and thoroughly clean the bad areas, inside and out, with a wire wheel, then wipe down with acetone. Place masking tape on the outside of the damaged areas. Fill the bad areas from the inside with 5200, and let it set up for 1 week. As long as you get the material clean and have good adhesion, 5200 will hold up, and will last for a long time.

Regardless of which method you use, before launch, check for leaks by filling the boat with a few inches of water while it's on the trailer.

It is a Valco, so I assume it's aluminum. What type of backing is required for welding? Does JB weld work?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331744#p331744 said:
cgb24 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 pm[/url]"]It is a Valco, so I assume it's aluminum. What type of backing is required for welding? Does JB weld work?

It does - but do it correctly and get it welded by a welder and it will last forever

Thanks! That's what I'll do. Now I need to find an affordable welder. How much do you think just the welding should cost?

Probably cost more than the hull is worth to get it welded.

I'd do like PSG-1 said and just 5200 it. What's you expected lifetime for this hull before you get something different?

Again, I would not dump a bunch of money into a new hull before you know it's the correct size for your needs.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331774#p331774 said:
cgb24 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 pm[/url]"]Thanks! That's what I'll do. Now I need to find an affordable welder. How much do you think just the welding should cost?

Hard to tell from the pics but I would think less then 100.00

Ask around

What he ^ said.

Be less than you expect, and a much better repair, both for you your use, and your re-sale value.

justsayin'

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331785#p331785 said:
Ranchero50 » 10 Oct 2013, 14:09[/url]"]Probably cost more than the hull is worth to get it welded.

I'd do like PSG-1 said and just 5200 it. What's you expected lifetime for this hull before you get something different?

Again, I would not dump a bunch of money into a new hull before you know it's the correct size for your needs.

You bring up a good point. This is a transitional fishing boat for me and my small boys. If they'er into boating I'll be getting a real boat within a few years. I think 5200 would last that long. If I can find a "friend price" for a weld repair I'll get it welded. If I can't get a good price on welding, I was thinking of doing 5200 on the inside with JB weld on the outside. Has anyone tried that setup?

5200 is flexible - JB Weld is not - why do you want to mix teh 2?

Use one or the other - I would go with 5200 and a backer plate on the INSIDE of the boat if possible

Better off just welding it correctly and it is done forever

One problem with electrolysis-damaged aluminum is that it is nearly impossible to weld without porosity and blow-outs. If it's a small area, it can be drilled or ground out to expose clean material, then built back up and filled. But if the area is large, it may have to be plated, or in the case of hull chines, aluminum angle welded along the length of the damaged area.

If the damaged areas are under seats, it may be difficult to fix from the inside. In this case, they have to be welded, or 5200'd from the outside. If the damage is along a chine, you might be able to use some caulking backer rod placed in the gutter and then 5200 from the outside to fill the damage. The caulking backer will keep the 5200 in place until it sets, preventing it from sagging.

I had a similar problem in my 10' the hole was under the bench..... I used some of the stick type jb weld, I sanded the paint off wiped with alcohol and filled it. Then vane back with. A sander. Still holding up 5 years later.

Ok. Thanks for all the info! I'm about to 5200 this thing. The only thing stopping me is that it's a great boat other than the holes in the pics. I don't like the idea of ruining a Valco by using JB weld or 5200. Am I giving the Valco more respect than it diserves? Or is it truly a great boat which deserve better that a cheap fix? If they are a dime a dozen then ill 5200 it and go fishing. If they are rare and wonderful then I'll give it the respect it deserves.

Splash it a couple times and decide for yourself. As said above, just enjoy it and decide if it's what you really want.

There were a bazillion tin jon boats made over the years so no real 'value' vs. a newer hull.

My Valco is rare & wonderful. :) To me anyway.

Good luck with your repair. My opinion on JB Weld is it does not flex, so it will eventually crack & fall out of the repair. I have never used the 5200.

Attachments

• New boat.JPG
    New boat.JPG
    577.8 KB · Views: 206
One year I bought a 12ft. Sears boat the night before trout season opened. The boat was sitting upright at the owners home and was painted green on the inside. Looked OK and I was in a hurry.
Got it home took it off the truck flipped it upside down and it looked like somebody shot it with a shotgun.
JB welded the holes (many). Still floats and it's been about four years.
Have fun with your kids and wear a life jacket.
rob

Can always use six 10 epoxy by west systems I believe. Its like a boat in a bottle. I used it to seal a few leaky seems on my aluminum boat. Only issue I can see is that it doesn't flex -.- but the guys at west marine all said it should be fine and last forever. Guess ill find out. Havent had my boat in the water yet.

Latest posts