Jet Lower on Yamaha Vmax

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lil' Blue Rude said:
If it was designed for use with a jet only the boat would have a 27" transom. I have my doubt that G3 makes a hp180 jetonly and a hp180 prop only. If there was that big of a diffrence that a prop couldn't be run on your hull G3 would have made the transom tall enough the jack plate wouldn't have been needed.
More motor will help the problem. There's as much if not more perfomance to be had from the boat and setup as there is to be had from the motor hanging on it.

More power is always a solution. Haha.

I'm not entirely sure if that last statement is saying that it isn't worth the time to try and make this boat better, or you are saying there is potential. Lol

Because I've been told that there isn't a whole lot to be bad in the way of performance upgrades for this motor....

bulldog said:
Lil' Blue Rude said:
If it was designed for use with a jet only the boat would have a 27" transom. I have my doubt that G3 makes a hp180 jetonly and a hp180 prop only. If there was that big of a diffrence that a prop couldn't be run on your hull G3 would have made the transom tall enough the jack plate wouldn't have been needed.

I have to agree with 'rude on this one. It is very wierd that boat is for jets only but does not have a 27" transom. Most larger if not all jets have to have a 27" transom. What is the hp rating on the boat? Did the boat come with an owners manual? Does it say "jet only" on the title? It is just odd. The shorter transoms are for smaller jets but if your is rated for a say 200, that is odd. Especially if they did not supply you with a jack plate or offer one as an option. This is turing in to a great thread. Now lets get to the bottom of this.

The boat has a 140 max hp, as in a 200/140 jet. I'm not sure what it says on the title, as it's in my safe deposit box. There is a jack plate on the boat though. When I spoke with the guy that sets the jets up on the boats he had told me that there was something different in the hull design compared to the prop ready model.

Here is a thread I found with another owner that has a jet only model:

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/231890-g3-hp180-weights-1200-pounds-without-motor

More power is always a solution. Haha :lol: That's a sayin I live by. :mrgreen:
My bad, didn't finish that last sentence. Meant to say more motor would probably help the problem. The reason I'm saying a diffrent boat would be better is because your boat may be sevrely limit the kind of performance you can achieve.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
More power is always a solution. Haha :lol: That's a sayin I live by. :mrgreen:
My bad, didn't finish that last sentence. Meant to say more motor would probably help the problem. The reason I'm saying a diffrent boat would be better is because your boat may be sevrely limit the kind of performance you can achieve.

If I could get the boat into the mid 40s top end with a 200/140, and get it to co
E out of the hole better I would be very satisfied. I'm not sure if that's reasonable or not, but that would be my end goal. I think the additional power would get it up on the. Ery bottom pad and really help. Thoughts?

mid 40's would probably be reasonable with a 200 on that boat. Hole shot would probably be alot better with that motor to.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
mid 40's would probably be reasonable with a 200 on that boat. Hole shot would probably be alot better with that motor to.

So the question is: what should I be looking for from a 200 outboard? I would think weight is my biggest concern. Does anyone have any suggestions on one over another?

bump.... 175 opti vs. 200 opti.... 25hp (20hp at jet) worth the weight. looks like 431lbs for the 175hp and 505 lbs for the 200hp.

Thats an additional 75lbs hanging on the back of the boat for 20 jet hp.

Latest posts