Jigs, Jigs, and more Jigs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
I had just recently made a post of some scrappy bass jigs I had thrown together, and have since perfected my idea. After about a month or two of web surfing, I made a wallet breaking order, so I could finally perfect my madness. My order set me back a bit, but now I am well under way to making a 100+ jigs. Besides buying the lead heads already molded, these jigs are all custom. For once I can mass produce the jigs in the exact color, and style I want. No more buying some expensive shifty colored jigs from tackle shops. Now, all I need is alot of time for mass assembly.

The only problem I did encounter is finding someone that sells vinyl paint in more natural colors. For now my basic colors are black, brown, and a very similiar pumpkin brown. I would love to find colors more natural in the water then pinks, whites, and yellows, so my quest continues. If anyone knows of a site that sells paints in more natural colors, please make me aware.

The painting, which def. takes some time. 2 coats, with the 3rd coat being clearcoat gloss.
Picture1634.jpg

Picture1635.jpg

Next is the color decisions. All the strands I recieved are all of personal choice and more or less natural colors. With only a couple strands of gold, and chartreuse that I'm mixing in.
Picture1636.jpg

Picture1637.jpg

My skirt after band is installed.
Picture1638.jpg

Picture1639.jpg

The jig, and rattles before final assembly, which is def. the hardest part of the process.
Picture1640.jpg

And the final product. All I need now is a name.
Picture1641.jpg

Picture1646.jpg

Picture1645.jpg

Picture1642.jpg

Picture1644.jpg

WOW, nice job keeping the fiber guard free of paint. Did you use masking tape? Great looking skirt too!

mr.fish said:
The only problem I did encounter is finding someone that sells vinyl paint in more natural colors. For now my basic colors are black, brown, and a very similiar pumpkin brown. I would love to find colors more natural in the water then pinks, whites, and yellows, so my quest continues. If anyone knows of a site that sells paints in more natural colors, please make me aware.

I guess I'd quit using vinyl paint and make the switch to powder paint. You can use a fluid bed to get perfect coats. And you can easily multi layer colors. No hanging stuff to dry. Heat it, dip it, bake it and you're done.

I'll recommend TJ's for a fluid bed and powder paints. https://www.tjstackle.com/

Mattman said:
mr.fish said:

I guess I'd quit using vinyl paint and make the switch to powder paint. You can use a fluid bed to get perfect coats. And you can easily multi layer colors. No hanging stuff to dry. Heat it, dip it, bake it and you're done.

I'll recommend TJ's for a fluid bed and powder paints. https://www.tjstackle.com/

Matt,
can you powder paint jigheads with fiber weedguards?

Can't use powder paints because of the heat factor. I had put a jighead to the test already.I already tried putting one in the oven for a short period, and the weedguards seemed to have fused together, so my only option is vinyl now.

Did you try janns netcraft, they have a lot of different colors for vinyl paint, not too many natural looking colors though.

Nickk said:
Matt,
can you powder paint jigheads with fiber weedguards?

Yes. They make a tube you slide over your weed guard.

Personally, I prefer to make my jigs without a weed guard and then glue it in place when I'm done painting.

Latest posts