Jumped in the wagon...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Well,

I finally took a dive on a V jon boat 12ft, 4ft wide at the wider top edges, what ever that is call, plain boat $200.

Something to just get me in the lake fishing without a huge investment. No trailer so I just laid it flat on my utility trailer.

It came with a title but FL numbers on the boat some are missing and others are in the process of peeling off, how can
I get new numbers ?

Pictures to come later...

Congrats on the new boat!

All that matters is that you are on the water!

If your looking to get some nice looking numbers check out out board sponsor. He does some sick work.

https://www.iguanagrafix.com/

congrats you will have to take your title to the tag office and get it registered here is a link https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/boat-registration.php

dedawg1149 said:
congrats you will have to take your title to the tag office and get it registered here is a link https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/boat-registration.php

Well, Here are some pictures of my jon boat.

I did noticed a couple of details that worries me, took a closer look at the boat this morning
and noticed that this boat had a previous set of registration stickers on it, removed
and replaced with the current reg number. Further more, the title says FL home made boats and
this is not a home made boat. This smell like a mess at this point.

I don't know if I should bring it up at the DMV and try to fix this issue ?

Or should I just register it using the title as it is and move on ?

Any helpful info greatly appreciated.

MGBoat003.jpg

MGBoat006.jpg

MGBoat007.jpg

Congrats man, =D> the family can't wait I'd guess :D

Yep keep in mine that this issue could have already been fixed thats why you may have differant numbers there, but have patience with the DMV they'll get it done for ya.

Just use the title as it is now.

More than likely, someone else went to register the boat without a title or HIN and they just created a title since they didn't know the manufacture.

In KY, the boat keeps the same registration numbers regardless of how many times the boat changes hands. They simply do an ownership title change.

for some reason I always thought those numbers were placed on the boat by the DMV or something...

I guess I could just remove those ugly stickers and replace them with new one to make look more decent.

Now, what is a good solvent to sue to clean up the boat, Its been sitting outside so it is not shiny and looks very dull. I want to bring it up to life again but I do not want to paint it, to me painting is risky business and very expensive trial if you don't know what you are doing.

I am not a fan of griding with metal brushes either but I will do it if that is the best option.

Up coming tasks:

1. Register it.
2. Fix the transom so it won't leak.
3. Replace those old numbers.
4. Wax it and bring back the shine.

Congrats on the boat, looks good. "Home made" not nec. a bad thing or meaning something is wrong, as previously said the problem may have already been fixed. I am in GA but when I went to tag my trailor, lady could not find vin # as it being registered, she issued me a home made trailor tag even though it has a manufactures sticker on it.

Cool! Glad to see you finally were able to find a boat. The different numbers could be from an out of state purchase, requiring different numbers (since different state). Does your boat have HIN (Hull Identification Number) on the back-right side of the boat? It should be listed (it is here) on the registration, as long as they match you're fine.

If you have a heat gun (or blow dryer), get the stickers hot & scrape 'em off with a wooden paddle, like you mix paint with.

If it were me, I'd do the least amount I had to.....then go fishing! :mrgreen: You can clean it up this winter :wink:

ST

SlimeTime said:
Cool! Glad to see you finally were able to find a boat. The different numbers could be from an out of state purchase, requiring different numbers (since different state). Does your boat have HIN (Hull Identification Number) on the back-right side of the boat? It should be listed (it is here) on the registration, as long as they match you're fine.

If you have a heat gun (or blow dryer), get the stickers hot & scrape 'em off with a wooden paddle, like you mix paint with.

If it were me, I'd do the least amount I had to.....then go fishing! :mrgreen: You can clean it up this winter :wink:
ST

Hello,

Now that you mention the out of state issue, I think that is what it is, these people were from Illinois and moved down here about 6yrs ego per what the guy say while we were making small talk. It proabably had a IL stickers on it and had to be replaced with FL stickers, but at this point it has a clear title of home made boat, so I just going to transfer the title to my name and move on.

Now the guys gave me a brand new registration sticker that is good until 6/2009, which means I could slap that sticker there and continue to use the boat until then... Or spend the $25 to get the boat under my name with a new sticker.

I also find a local guy who has a trailer for $200 that is perffect for the boat, that will bring the cost of the boat to $400, in which case I could had just gotten a more complete boat for $700 so I am not so sure about the boat trailer. I think I will add rollers to my flat trailer and use it as a boat trailer, any ideas on how best to do this ? Anyone done it before ?

And yes, I am not planning on doing too much to it other then using it, I will fix the back board tomorrow so that it won't have open holes, but right after that I am going in the water for a mall boat ride on the lake...

The only bad thing about not having a trailer is that I can't go by myself, I need a set of helping hands to help me unload and upload the boat to the flat trailer... I have to figure something out os that I can take the boat out on my own if I want to.

Let the fun begin....

If I were you I would just take the plunge and buy the boat trailer. It's defiantly worth the extra money. It'll make launching and loading so much less of a hassle especially once you get a little motor for it, not to mention you won't need an extra set of hands to go out. No way would I want my fishing trips to hinge on having another person being available to help with the launch.

I'm with Brew. You'd have a few bucks modifying your flat trailer, plus pretty much lose the use of it for anything other than your boat. Be sure (if you buy the trailer) that you check the title against the VIN numbers on the trailer prior to forking-over any cash. Offer him $150, see what he says........lol, and NEVER let him know how well it'll fit your boat....you know you'll have to spend some money on it to get it to work... :wink:

ST

brewfish said:
If I were you I would just take the plunge and buy the boat trailer. It's defiantly worth the extra money. It'll make launching and loading so much less of a hassle especially once you get a little motor for it, not to mention you won't need an extra set of hands to go out. No way would I want my fishing trips to hinge on having another person being available to help with the launch.

So $200 is a fair price for trailer that is on decent shape and is 19ft long total from edge to edge ?

SlimeTime said:
I'm with Brew. You'd have a few bucks modifying your flat trailer, plus pretty much lose the use of it for anything other than your boat. Be sure (if you buy the trailer) that you check the title against the VIN numbers on the trailer prior to forking-over any cash. Offer him $150, see what he says........lol, and NEVER let him know how well it'll fit your boat....you know you'll have to spend some money on it to get it to work... :wink:

ST

I tried, he is asking $250 on the ad, I offered him $150, he said $200 firm.

I hate when people don't work with me and I do work with people all the time.

When I sold my F150, I had $1800 on the add, and the truck was worth all of it, nice clean truck.

An old man came to see it and worked me down to $1500.

He showed up with $1400 to pick up the truck and I felt so compel to work with him and his well way of being that he got his truck for $1400... Prior a drunk red neck old man try to give me $1000 being an axx, it told him to pick up is money off my truck and get out my sigth, you play nice you should be rewarded, else go .....

Now, when it is be buying, screw it, every body wants every penny...
got his

If the trailer is in good shape then $200 isn't a bad price. It must be in good shape though. No big rust areas, no bald tires, nothing is bent up and what not. A 19' trailer seems a little big for a 12ft boat though. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that it's a little bigger than need be.

SVNET said:
I tried, he is asking $250 on the ad, I offered him $150, he said $200 firm.

I hate when people don't work with me and I do work with people all the time.

But he is working with you. He asked $250, you offered $150, and he split the difference by countering with $200 firm. Whether or not you accept or try to wrangle him down to $175 is up to you. But the ball is now in your court.

Don't be disheartened, that's just the way the game is played. Congrats on your new boat and best wishes for finding a nice trailer within your budget.

Mark

Congrats on the nice looking rig! 8)
thumbsup_smilie.gif

If you can't get all the adhesive off from the registration stickers, try a product called Goof-Off. Walmart also sells a product (in the boat accessory area in our Walmart) for removing decals/adhesive.

lol....was gonna say the same thing mossy did :mrgreen: Look at it this way, you can upgrade to a larger boat later & already have a trailer for it :wink: Sell your current boat & apply it towards a larger one. Now that you have a boat, the "deals" will start falling out of the sky :p

ST

SlimeTime said:
lol....was gonna say the same thing mossy did :mrgreen: Look at it this way, you can upgrade to a larger boat later & already have a trailer for it :wink: Sell your current boat & apply it towards a larger one. Now that you have a boat, the "deals" will start falling out of the sky :p
ST

I think that is why I jump on this one, just to stop the madness and the vicious circle.

1. Makes no sense on being on standby, missing all the fun, waiting for the perfect deal.

2. I know that now that I got a boat, the good deals are going to be everywhere...

3. I am not getting my hopes up with this trailer, attached is a picture, I do have a feeling
that this will be crappy trailer probably worth $100 but the owner some how think is worth $200.

01150301020801040320080814ca55f0ab68f7cbcb97006182.jpg

Latest posts