Just got my first Baitcaster.....I need help!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah man it just takes a lot of practice. I have been using a baitcaster for a year now and still have trouble from time to time. I keep my thumb on the spool basically the whole time for 2 reasons. One reason is to control where the bait lands if I feel I have casted too strong. The other reason is to prevent the backlash.

teamhoytpa said:
Another tip for you is to not use that whole spool of line. Once you have a target picked out, put a piece of tape around the spool once you have enough line to get to the target and about 10' slack. That way if you do back lash, (you will) it won't be a huge mess to pick out.

I think thumbing the spool is your problem.

I also once read that braided line was easier to learn with but i tried and it seemed like a hassle....and a waste of expensive line. :cry: I couldn't cast to save my life. :oops: You'll get the hang of it.

The part about the braided line be easier to learn with is a myth for the most part, most people find it much easier to learn while using a larger diameter line and most braids made today actually have a much thinner diameter than mono or flouro of the same test. That being said i think the easiest way to get the general idea of using a baitcast is to find a buddy who musky fishes and use one of his set-ups. I found that casting with the large reels, 80lb braid, and a large lure that i had less backlashes and the ones i did get were usually much easier to pick out than rats nests made of mono.

When i first got my baitcaster it was a mess. But all you really need is practice. what i like to do is set the magnetic brakes on 8.if you can take the plateon he left side off there will be 6 pins. click 3 of them in towards the center of the reel.After this put the reel plate back on. then on the cast control knob on the right side of the reel turn it to were your lure drops maybe 10-16 inches then stops( it can go all the way to the ground and still casts fine but i like mine a tad tighter). Just make sure your lure is falling slowly. After you have it set jus try to throw the lure side armed and stop the spool when it gets near the ground. The key to using these cheaper reels is to keep your eye on the lure so you know when it is hitting the water. After you get it to were you you can throw with it sidearmed fine and birdsnest free i would try to go over hand for more control and accuracy. however this takes a lot longer then trying to learn to throw it side armed. I also think jit helps to keep both hands on the rod during the cast.i think this give you more control to the rod. Just remember to keep your eye on the lure, cast easily at first, and stop the lure as it hits the gound an you will be fine. It just takes practice and time. I thought my bionic from bass pro was a terrible reel first starting out with it but i realized that i jus had to have a smoother cast and not have it so jerky. I did this and made the settings likei explained above and i have had no backlashes ever since.Oh and FYI if you get good at baitcasters and wann move up to a better one i would recomend the BPS Pro Qualifier reel with the same settings as the others.

Latest posts