KNOW YOUR RIVER!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
Here's a video I put together that discusses 3 great resources for the river runners, or anyone else who wants tidal and hydrographic information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKXV1eyUdDo&list=TLiogeilQGzHysZ8YbbhPx-ekqQt9u-EkE

I live in CT alongside a river that fluctuates rapidly and I've got the NOAA page pegged in my web browser's favorites for a while now - but I never knew you could view other people's pictures or historical images on google earth....very cool.

Great overview!

Thanks! Hopefully the info will come in useful to other boaters.

The historical imagery of google earth is pretty interesting to look at. Some of those stretches of river that seem to be just fine at normal or high water levels, may hide dangerous shoals or rapids just under the surface, which can be hazardous on a trip during lower water levels.

Not only do you see the fluctuations of river levels on the inland rivers, but you can also see dramatic changes along the coastlines. Particularly at inlets, and especially at inlets that do not have jetties, you can see the cut in the sandbar shift from year to year.

Sometimes, an inlet completely fills in, as was the case with "Mad Inlet" near the NC/SC border. When I was a kid, growing up in Cherry Grove in the 1980's, Mad Inlet existed, and you could cut through it on high tide, to get to the area known as "dead Backwater" behind Bird Island, but it was very dangerous. Imagery since about 1994 shows that inlet being gone.

It would really be awesome if you could roll back historical imagery for about 100 years to see all the dramatic changes, but sat. imagery only came into existence for purposes like google earth around the early 1990's.

excellent advice. Know your river. Or lake. Whatever waterway a boater is on. I sometimes fish a river that fluctuates up to 9 feet in a matter of about 30 minutes. Get there, it'll be 9 feet high. Hour later it's 9 feet low. Better be on your toes and plan for it. I have, unfortunately, been STUCK because the water level dropped quickly. Had to pull the boat over some rocky shoal manually. Not fun, but I made it. Or on the other end, I've fished from the bank, same area, water real low. Then next thing I know, the water is at my ankles. Then a few minutes later it's chest deep. Friend of mine was with me that time but he was at the other side of the river. Water started coming up. We were into the fish pretty good and he says it'll be alright. Hour later he's on the other side of the river and can't get back across. Swimming is out of the question with that current. Then a guy I worked with did the same thing, same place, but was by himself. Wasn't anything he could do but to go into some stranger's house and call for help. He had some explaining to do.

Latest posts