Les' Duracraft Project "Help me get started"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmsmith

Reaction score
Well I made the jump today and bought a Duracraft runabout. We got it for 50 bucks. We just happened to be driving by the guys house and he had it out front with a sign saying $150. He just wanted to get rid of it.

I have no idea what year or model it is. The HIN is there with a serial number, so maybe we can track something down. The hull, trailer and engine appear to be in really good shape for their age. What do you all think? It looks like the transom will need to be replaced.

My concerns: 1) Don't have a title, so before I sink money into it I need to get it registered if possible, hopefully no problems. 2) Don't know where to get info on doing the restoration (hull, motor, linkages, everything).

We plan to leave it the same color, crimson and cream. Also, plan to add a 50hp, the HIN said that was the max.

Could you guys direct me to info on getting started and what the best game plan would be. Also, please give me your opinion on the boat.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 100_2443 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2443 (1024x768).jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2444 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2444 (1024x768).jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2446 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2446 (1024x768).jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2445 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2445 (1024x768).jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2447 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2447 (1024x768).jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2448 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2448 (1024x768).jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2449 (768x1024).jpg
    100_2449 (768x1024).jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 100_2450 (1024x768).jpg
    100_2450 (1024x768).jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 1,977
$50?!? Needless to say, that might be the steal of the year. As far as registrations are concerned, go to wherever you get your car registered, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had to go to the states dept. of game and fish to get mine taken care of. I think it was just a form that I had to have the previous owner sign, but I can't remember for sure. As far as info on where and how to start, this is about the best site on the web for it, just hang around, ask some questions, and there are tons of people on the board that will help you out. Unless you need a bunch of seats in it, I'd keep the 2 "bucket" seats in the front, and put some leaning posts (if anything) in the back to open it up for fishing... All depends on what your plans for the future are with it. Oh, and I dig the color too, I wouldn't change it either.

Yeah Man, just went back and stared at it again for a couple minutes. It reminds me of the boat from "On Golden Pond". That thing is definitely sweet. I'd put some nice comfy seats i the front, make a flat floor in the back, and maybe 2 tall removable pedestals for bass fishing, but like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it, I would consider taking it out in Chesapeake Bay if it was mine, in which case I'd probably want comfy seats in the back too...

Well I got it home today. I can't track down any info on the boat or motor using the serial #s on line. Can anyone help?

Boat: DuraCraft serial #17594
Motor: Evinrude serial #25924-04344

That's the only numbers I can find. To be honest I can't find much on old DurCrafts online at all. What's up with that?

Okay, I think I found the motor info here: https://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/index.html#e15hp

25924-04344 was the number on the plate. i found 25924 on the website.

Appears to be a 1956, 30 hp motor. Do you agree?

What would the -04344 stand for?

Here's the plan of attack for the boat:

1)Remove windshield and seats. Trash seats.
2)Remove boat from trailer and begin fixing trailer. New wood, rollers, bearings and tires. Paint is good except on fenders. I'll repaint those.
3) Flip boat and begin stripping.
4) Begin going through the motor. Save for colder days since I can do it in the garage.

I still haven't been able to find anything the boat itself. Serial # 17594, haven't been able to find any kind of HIN# anywhere else.

Your thoughts please.

SVOMike86 said:
$50?!? Needless to say, that might be the steal of the year. As far as registrations are concerned, go to wherever you get your car registered, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I had to go to the states dept. of game and fish to get mine taken care of. I think it was just a form that I had to have the previous owner sign, but I can't remember for sure. As far as info on where and how to start, this is about the best site on the web for it, just hang around, ask some questions, and there are tons of people on the board that will help you out. Unless you need a bunch of seats in it, I'd keep the 2 "bucket" seats in the front, and put some leaning posts (if anything) in the back to open it up for fishing... All depends on what your plans for the future are with it. Oh, and I dig the color too, I wouldn't change it either.

Yeah Man, just went back and stared at it again for a couple minutes. It reminds me of the boat from "On Golden Pond". That thing is definitely sweet. I'd put some nice comfy seats i the front, make a flat floor in the back, and maybe 2 tall removable pedestals for bass fishing, but like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it, I would consider taking it out in Chesapeake Bay if it was mine, in which case I'd probably want comfy seats in the back too...

Mike hit the nail on the head as fail as it being a bargain. I've looked at a lot of classic aluminum runabouts and your's appears to have all the pieces. The steering wheel looks to be in fair shape and can be repaired using epoxy and paint. That steering wheel and drum would bring probably double what you paid for the boat on Ebay. As far as the steering cables go, most folks use clothes line you can pick up at most hardware stores. Check out the Classic Boathouse and Fiberclassics web sites. They have old flyers and pictures of classic runabouts.

I've seen similar Duracrafts and other classic aluminum runabouts polished out from the gunnels to the splash rail, coated/painted below the splash rail, then the top painted. Many also replace that high windshield for a low, flat two-piece. Just my two cents. Iboats is a great souce on these classic runabouts. Hope this helps.

Latest posts