Livewell Leaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrNip

Reaction score
I went to start working on plumbing my livewell and upon doing a leak test it was found to have a leak. This is very disturbing and frustrating seeing it is a completely new build. Upon inspecting the livewell, only each edge/corner are welded. So that means four places it could leak roughly 12" long on each. Of course I will be contacting the dealership next week but they are 6 hours away and taking it back to be fixed is out of the question unless it turns into some type of nightmare. Most likely I will be told to take it somewhere to be fixed and I will be reimbursed or so I think. My question is would I be better off taking it to get each of the four edges/corners re-welded or should I just run a bead of this 3M 5200 I here everybody talk about up each edge/corner? Here is a link to my boat:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32289

It sucks when something new isn't right! If it was me I would just run the 5200 along the seams. Probably save you time, money and aggravation in the long run. Call the dealer and make them at least pay you for the tube of 5200!

Kinda what I was thinking. It only appears that out of the 4 -12" edges that are welded totaling 48" of weld maybe a spot or two of it might be the leaking points.

No drain tube on that livewell? If there is I would carefully inspect it for leaks, tube to livewell connection, hosing and make sure those hose clamps are working right.
Tim

Just a drain hole which I had plugged with the plug. The hole has a solid weld around it. I was just filling it up to see how many gallons it held.

Found some time to look at the livewell again tonight and I believe I might have been initially wrong. The water that had leaked was building up almost in the middle of the boat. I don't believe it is possible for a leak almost 2' away would some how trickle under the livewell, over all the ribs and end up in the middle without somehow trickling into other ribs. I could be wrong. I left the plug out and put just enough water to submerge the whole bottom of the livewell. We'll see if the drain hole is the problem.

Another thing that is bothering me about the drain hole is that isn't threaded and it is too small. I have heard a lot of people complain of non threaded drains having the drain tube dislodge all the time. It is only a 7/8" ID hole. I want it to be 1" - 1 1/8" ID and threaded. I would have to take the old one out and have a new one placed in. How hard would this be? My goal is to have two external pumps on the livewell. One to fill and the other to recirculate. Seeing that it is a non-insulated livewell tank I will need it to refill and drain periodically if not all the time when it is hot outside. I'm afraid with this little of a diameter drain it won't be able to keep up with the fill pump. Am I over thinking this and just need to put a dab of 5200 around the hole and try the push in style drain tube and be happy with life? Attached is a pic of the drain hole.

EDIT: Just verified that it is the drain hole leaking. Looks like there is a pin-size hole in the weld towards the transom.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 1,068
Ok I need some thoughts. I will be having a the livewell fill pump filling from the transom. It is a 3/4" fill. I purchased 1 1/2" fitting for the livewell overflow. The 3/4" overflow/drain within the livewell just didn't sit right with me. I didn't want to run into problems of it not keeping up with the fill pump. True the fill pump would be on a timer but I still thought I would run into problems of it filling the livewell too much to the point of overflowing. So now I have the 1 1/2" drain I need to locate somewhere.

My questions are:

Do I put the drain below or above the water line?
Out the side of the boat or the transom?
Do I really need a seacock valve if it is below the water line?
Having the drain above the water line would it be too much noise to handle with it draining into the body of water I am in?

My thoughts are to put it below the water line so I don't have to deal with the noise. If need be I was looking at the following seacock valve. I would rather bite the bullet on the price of a valve than possibly sink the boat in the event of drain failure.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2937981188973542482?rlz=1C1_____enUS475US475&es_sm=122&biw=1366&bih=642&sclient=psy-ab&q=forespar+1+1/2%22+seacock+valve&oq=forespar+1+1/2%22+seacock+valve&pbx=1&ei=T8y5UoOeC6auyAGa5oGACg&ved=0CK4BEKYrMAQ.

Thanks.

I would put it out the transom. The only reason to put the valve in is if you bury the through hull fitting and hose connection. If you maintain the hose and have a good connection it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I think out the transom would be better than the side. I think the thru-hull fitting out the side would be more prone to get damaged by a limb or something.

No matter if you put it out the transom or straight down thru the floor, you gotta drill a hole so I don't see what difference it makes.
Tim

Check out his for live well plumbing. This is what I plan on doing. https://www.flow-rite.com/marine/livewell-builder. Sweet boat by the way.

Yeah I've checked that out quite a few times. I've pretty much made up my mind on a 800 gph 3/4" fitting fill running from the transom to the livewell setup on a timer. The overflow I decided to ditch the factory 3/4" gravity fed tube design for a 1 1/2" overflow either ported out the side or the transom. It might have to go out the side. If out the transom I would have to cut the middle rib and back bench to tun the hose underneath which looks to be a pain in the arse. I have decided to go with The Oxygenator for the aerator. Pretty simple setup which should pump plenty of fresh water to the livewell to keep the water temp down inside in the dog day summers. The Oxygenator should keep plenty of oxygen in the water. I will have to wait and see if I need any type of insulation once out on the water.

That sounds like a good plan. I also would probably put the overflow out the side.

Latest posts