Looking for first battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alumacraft

Reaction score
I have a minn kota 30lb thrust TM and a Humming Bird 565 that I will be using. what is a good price battery that has enough juice to keep me going for a while. I do have a outboard but I troll .5 mph with the TM.

So

what battery to you recommend? (not to expensive) will be buying one @ Fleet Farm, so I dont know what brands they have yet. :?

When I do buy one what should I look for in a good battery? (how do I tell how much juice it will give off? #-o

I don't know what brands they have but I do know to tell how much juice they give off is determined by the Amp hour rating of the battery. The higher the Amp hour the longer you can use it. A deep cycle battery is what you are looking for in a trolling motor battery. You can use a deep cycle as a starting battery but you will lose some cranking amps compared to a starting battery the same size. You can also use a starting battery as a trolling motor battery but the life span will be shorter than just using it as a starting battery.

I'm using a 12 volt Group 24 deep cycle Die Hard (maintenance free) on a 14.5 foot Sylvan with a 40 pound bow mount MinnKota. Got a Humminbird 570 in the stern & an older Eagle 168 in the bow. I can work shorelines in & out of heavy weed growth for 6-7 hours a day and still end up with close to a full charge. Could be just the way I'm using the troller, but I'll take that kind of performance any day......... :lol: :lol:

I have an Minn Kota Endura 30 and a Humminbird Matrix 17 FF on my 12' Semi-V with a 24 series Walmart battery and I can go 6 to 8 hours easy without any problems.

I have used a size 24 battery from rural king for many years with a size 30 mtor guide it works well pushing my 1448 around the farm pond
i think your fleet farm battery will work fine

I have a 180 ah deep-cycle from Basspro. Pretty expensive but has juice to spare. Ran my 55lb Minn Kota for three days in a stiff breeze without a re-charge.

Alumacraft said:
I have a minn kota 30lb thrust TM and a Humming Bird 565 that I will be using. what is a good price battery that has enough juice to keep me going for a while. I do have a outboard but I troll .5 mph with the TM.

So

what battery to you recommend? (not to expensive) will be buying one @ Fleet Farm, so I dont know what brands they have yet. :?

When I do buy one what should I look for in a good battery? (how do I tell how much juice it will give off? #-o

I have a FleetFarm marine deep cycle battery for my 55# Minkota TM. I think it's sold under the BriteStar label. Cost about $60. I don't recall the specs off hand, but it seems pretty good. Last week I trolled a few hours and it still had plenty of life in it.

Latest posts