Lund V-hulls and skinny water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Nash

Reaction score
New member but I've been lurking for a while. I currently run a 1997 Starcraft FM165 side console mod-V with a newer 50hp on her and I'm about to upgrade to a slightly bigger walk-through that better suits my old bones and my cold weather habits. I also do a fair amount of smallmouth bass fishing in rocky lakes and medium-skinny water (like 3 feet, sometimes 2 by accident) here in New England. I'm looking at something like a late-model Lund Adventure or Impact and wouldn't rule out a Rebel in the 90-115hp range. My question is this- does anyone have advice regarding the draft depth for these models? I spend enough time fishing for salmon and lake trout that I also need to be able to handle bigger water but I'm very content to stay home if the wind gets gusting past 15mph or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice on these or similar models. Working with a budget of 20-30K so I'm thinking model years from 2015 or so onward.

Welcome to the site.
I dont have any real data on the size boat your looking to buy, but I doubt it would draw over a foot. Guess it would depend on the deadrise, hope someone chimes in with some real numbers for you.

You won' be navigating water in the 2-3 ft depth with a larger boat with a heavy 115 on the back. Keep in mund newer means 4 stroke outboards at another 50-100 lbs. Bigger boats mean deeper V's which take up more skinny water. I have a Sylvan 16' , similiar to what you have. Gets into skinny water very well but does not have a real deep V. Mine does real well on waves up to 2' on the big lake. If over two feet, I stay home and go another day. I also have a 40 hp two stroke motor, much lighter so transom doesn't sit as deep. Good luck...!!

I don't have any experience with Lund but Large deep Vee and shallow water usually don't mix well. Have you ever thought about a 18-20 ft boat with like a 15deg mod vee? G3 and Seaark and I'm sure others have side console models like that that would do great for what you describe. Xpress has a pad hull in different layouts that goes shallow and handles well in rough water. I have one on a 20ft center console and fish it on the shallow upper potomac chasing smallmouth and also take it out on the Chesapeake bay. It will go as skinny as 18" on the outboard.

You won' be navigating water in the 2-3 ft depth with a larger boat with a heavy 115 on the back. Keep in mund newer means 4 stroke outboards at another 50-100 lbs. Bigger boats mean deeper V's which take up more skinny water. I have a Sylvan 16' , similiar to what you have. Gets into skinny water very well but does not have a real deep V. Mine does real well on waves up to 2' on the big lake. If over two feet, I stay home and go another day. I also have a 40 hp two stroke motor, much lighter so transom doesn't sit as deep. Good luck...!!

You are correct in general, but it also depends a lot on the hull design. Here is the boat I run in the shallows the most:

DSC00018.JPG
Resized_20190519_114924.jpeg
Resized_20190519_114842.jpeg

It is an Offshore 22' Bay Boat. It probably weighs 3,500 lbs. The outboard alone weighs over 500 lbs., more than my entire Princecraft 16 did.

Even so, this hull only drafts 10-12" real-world, depending on load, and I regularly take it into 2-3' of water. If I know the water, I'll run at speed, trimmed up and moving fast, otherwise, I'll idle around or use the trolling motor.

As you can see, it has a very sharp entry, but flattens out in the back. But it has a shockingly soft ride out in the Bay and ocean, even in true 3-4 footers. Still not sure how or why, but not complaining!

As you imply, it seems to me that having a FLAT bottom in the rear and having a WIDE bottom have more to do with shallow draft than just weight. My Princecraft was the shallowest drafting boat I've ever had, and it was 6' wide, with an almost flat bottom in the back. It was also dead-stable, hard to rock:
Message_1627603203364.jpg

With the 35, it only drafted 4-5", and with the 50 it drafted 5 to maybe 6". Even so, the bow had some decent V, so when it got snotty, I could trim the motor down and slice through some moderate chop and wakes. But it was NOT good in big stuff unless you slowed way down:

Resized_20220902_193152.jpegResized_20220919_153627.jpeg

Hull design is a very interesting thing. The deeper the V in the stern, the more they tend to draft, especially with a big 100 HP+ motor on the back, as you say. But if the stern is fairly flat, it may surprise, even if the bow has a deep-V.

I guess every boat is different. Marine design is amazing to me.

Never really thought about it. Hard to think a tin fishing boat that is 18' or less would draw much. My 18' Mod-V has some dead rise (maybe 12 deg). It draws probably 5" - 8". Of course the prop and skeg are deeper and that would be the big concern.

I would be OK in 3' of water. But I wouldn't like it.

My old 18' Starcraft was a deep V with a deep V at the transom and it took a lot of water. The deep transom makes a big difference. My 16' is a mod V and very little V in the transom, it can run in much shallower water.

You are correct in general, but it also depends a lot on the hull design. Here is the boat I run in the shallows the most:

View attachment 118708
View attachment 118709
View attachment 118710

It is an Offshore 22' Bay Boat. It probably weighs 3,500 lbs. The outboard alone weighs over 500 lbs., more than my entire Princecraft 16 did.

Even so, this hull only drafts 10-12" real-world, depending on load, and I regularly take it into 2-3' of water. If I know the water, I'll run at speed, trimmed up and moving fast, otherwise, I'll idle around or use the trolling motor.

As you can see, it has a very sharp entry, but flattens out in the back. But it has a shockingly soft ride out in the Bay and ocean, even in true 3-4 footers. Still not sure how or why, but not complaining!

As you imply, it seems to me that having a FLAT bottom in the rear and having a WIDE bottom have more to do with shallow draft than just weight. My Princecraft was the shallowest drafting boat I've ever had, and it was 6' wide, with an almost flat bottom in the back. It was also dead-stable, hard to rock:
View attachment 118711

With the 35, it only drafted 4-5", and with the 50 it drafted 5 to maybe 6". Even so, the bow had some decent V, so when it got snotty, I could trim the motor down and slice through some moderate chop and wakes. But it was NOT good in big stuff unless you slowed way down:

View attachment 118712View attachment 118713

Hull design is a very interesting thing. The deeper the V in the stern, the more they tend to draft, especially with a big 100 HP+ motor on the back, as you say. But if the stern is fairly flat, it may surprise, even if the bow has a deep-V.

I guess every boat is different. Marine design is amazing to me.

Wow, thank you for the thorough and super-helpful answer! I think I've settled on a 2014 Crestliner Fish Hawk with a newer 115 on it and the mod-V hull on that boat flattens out pretty nicely. I'd almost never be running at speed in very shallow water but some of the New England lakes where I fish have unmarked shoals in them and I've had a couple of surprises going from 30 feet of water to 3 feet almost instantly. Never grounded my lower unit or anything but I'm a worrier ;-)

Appreciate the help, now it's time to go write that big check!

My old 18' Starcraft was a deep V with a deep V at the transom and it took a lot of water. The deep transom makes a big difference. My 16' is a mod V and very little V in the transom, it can run in much shallower water.
Thanks airshot- think I've chosen a mod-V Crestliner that shouldn't give me any trouble. Appreciate the input.

I don't have any experience with Lund but Large deep Vee and shallow water usually don't mix well. Have you ever thought about a 18-20 ft boat with like a 15deg mod vee? G3 and Seaark and I'm sure others have side console models like that that would do great for what you describe. Xpress has a pad hull in different layouts that goes shallow and handles well in rough water. I have one on a 20ft center console and fish it on the shallow upper potomac chasing smallmouth and also take it out on the Chesapeake bay. It will go as skinny as 18" on the outboard.
Thanks flatheadsteve- I did consider a slightly older Xpress DVX175 but I found a good deal on a mod-V Crestliner Fish Hawk so I think that's what I'll go with. Hull isn't too different from my older Starcraft so I think it'll serve me well. Appreciate the advice!

Never really thought about it. Hard to think a tin fishing boat that is 18' or less would draw much. My 18' Mod-V has some dead rise (maybe 12 deg). It draws probably 5" - 8". Of course the prop and skeg are deeper and that would be the big concern.

I would be OK in 3' of water. But I wouldn't like it.
Thanks LDUBS- I was probably overthinking the question but I'm a worrier by nature and while I've never wrecked a lower unit I've seen some horror shows on my local lakes here in northern New England. Got a line on a nice mod-V Crestliner so I think I'm good.

Thanks LDUBS- I was probably overthinking the question but I'm a worrier by nature and while I've never wrecked a lower unit I've seen some horror shows on my local lakes here in northern New England. Got a line on a nice mod-V Crestliner so I think I'm good.

Other than near the ramp, I'm seldom in water shallower than 40' and the majority of time 100' or more. So my perspective is definitely different.

Any thoughts on this 18 CC with 70hp Johnson 1987

Attachments

• Starcraft red.jpg
    Starcraft red.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraft 70hp.jpg
    starcraft 70hp.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • Console.jpg