Marsh Creek

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case, here goes.

Its an electric motor only lake that gets HEAVY use. Fishing pressure is off the charts and the weekend recreational boaters are EVERYWHERE when the weather is nice.

There are two state-run boat launches. The one on the East side of the lake is open dawn till dusk and has bathrooms, a snack-hut, boat rentals, a nice ramp, hiking trails, picnic tables ... you get the idea. The launch on the West side is open to fisherman 24 hours, has a nice ramp and clean bathrooms.

The lake is very pretty. There are no houses anywhere on the shore so it feels somewhat remote, but it isn't at all.

The lake has a good solid population of crappie, bluegill and largemouth bass. There are some very big bass in this lake. There are also some very big catfish. Perch are around in moderate numbers and there are some smallmouth as well. The state stocks tiger muskies each year and there are definitely some big ones in there. 40" fish are caught every year. Rumor has it that there are even some walleye lurking in the depths.

That all sounds great, but let me tell you, its a tough lake to fish. The pressure NEVER lets up on this lake - even at night. The key to this lake is understanding the underwater structure and currents. The lake was built by flooding a little town, so there are submerged roadbeds, buildings, fencelines etc. There are also a few streams that enter the lake and a dam release at the far end - all creating current streams throughout the lake. Local clubs have also been placing man-made structure in the lake for a few years now, but the location of those are a closely guarded secret (I don't know the locations).

The lake is also pretty weedy. Inside and outside weed edges can be productive - especially at night.

If you fish here. USE ELECTRONICS!! Find the humps, breaks, flats, etc. Look for rock to weed transitions. The outside weed edges also have a spot where the weeds go from tall to short. If you can run your bait right over the short weeds next to the edge of the tall weeds - that's about as good as it gets.

Pounding the shore line with Senkos, jigs, and crankbaits will get you some small bass, but nothing big. Go deeper.

Fish low and slow. Fish early and at night.

Regarding camping, there is nothing on the lake. But there are one or two campgrounds in the area. I'll look them up when I get a chance and post back.

When are you coming, and how long you staying?

Well I am getting back on Sunday of next week and going out camping Monday. I should have the Jon Boat reassembled by then. I just need to get away from work. First full week of in two years.

Latest posts