Mercury 8.8

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkd

Reaction score
I have a Mercury 8.8 short shaft, the motor runs well but seems to be a little under powered for my 18' John Boat. Would it help a little if I changed the prop? The motor is used and I do not know much about motors or props for that matter. Any help would be appreciated.

Depending on what you're expecting or wanting for speed, I'd guess that you are way under powered for a boat that size and a prop change isn't going to make that much of a difference if any.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317764#p317764 said:
JMichael » 07 Jun 2013, 06:15[/url]"]Depending on what you're expecting or wanting for speed, I'd guess that you are way under powered for a boat that size and a prop change isn't going to make that much of a difference if any.

I second that, I am running a Mercury Merc 60 - 6 HP on a 14' that empty weight is around 200lbs + me + motor and I can't plane out. It is a deep v and 60" wide. I am now working on cleaning up a 22 HP Merc to put on it. I have limited prop options for the 6 HP unit and it runs nice just wont get anywhere too quick.

Latest posts