Mirrorcraft 14 Deep Fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still plugging away.....need more plywood.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (7).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (7).jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • imagejpeg_2 (9).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (9).jpg
    474 KB · Views: 1,020
  • imagejpeg_2 (8).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (8).jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 1,020
Looks like your makin a flats boat style tin, you gonna put rod racks on the side? Lookin sick Big Wave, wish I had a garage to clean mine up and paint it as well...nice job sir. =D>

Thanks man, I will have two rod holders on each side of the lockers two cup holders too. I think I am going to to put my chart plotter on the rear of one of the lockers not sure what side yet. I can tell you that the front casting deck is very solid without any screws yet. I still need to coat the wood and cut some holes for the compartments. The battery will be up front under the casting deck. I have two compartments port and starboard and one big one in the center. I like the layout since I can move around and pole across the flats with ease. I am getting closer but still need to finish the lockers and finish the wood, then on to the wiring . It looks like I will have three full sheets of 1/2 plywood when I am finished. :beer:

It's looking great! 8) Putting the battery up front is the best place, IMO, as it puts some weight forward, which means less porpoising, and sharper steering response. I learned that when I did my Triton 1650 modification.

Also, in the event of getting swamped, the battery is less likely to go underwater if it's in the front. Particularly if you punch the throttle to pull the plug and run water out, all the water goes to the stern, if there's a battery back there, it's probably going to be ruined.

What are you powering this again with big? Looks like she should fly whatever your using!

Ya I hear ya, I can get around 30 to 35 with just me in the boat, anyone else around 25 to 29, but mine is actually a 35 hp carbs and intake on a 25hp, which helps.

Got the main deck painted, will put a clear coat on tonight. I like the way it looks so far.

Attachments

• Main Deck flake.jpg
    Main Deck flake.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 985
That deck looks great. What are you using and does it come in white?
Nice work, do you have any pics of the boat on the water? =D>

Jonboat Jerry said:
That deck looks great. What are you using and does it come in white?
Nice work, do you have any pics of the boat on the water? =D>
You can buy it at home depot, It is floor polyeurathane, Oil base.....with clear over it. It is pretty reasonable 24-26 bucks a gallon and is no different than paint. I rolled it on. I am getting close to a water trial but still a few weeks out. I have everything to finish the mod, with the exception of trailer parts. I had them tint mine to the darkest grey I could get.....They do have it in white.

Attachments

• Poly floor stuff.jpg
    Poly floor stuff.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 941
This is just the dry fit....not bad. My two dollar ss piano hinge is finally installed. Now I will cut a hatch for the battery and anchor, few screws and the bow area will be done. :beer:

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (10).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (10).jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 931
  • imagejpeg_2 (11).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (11).jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 931
  • imagejpeg_2 (12).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (12).jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 930
Time to take that thing out and get a couple of tight lines! That floor looks sick!

what are all the specks in the porch and floor paint and how did you get that effect

Just ask the guys at the paint counter at home depot. They are pvc plastic flakes. I put one coat of the floor paint on first and let dry for a day. Then I put a second coat on and used my hand to randomly scatter on the surface of the wet paint. Once it dried I followed with a clear coat of polyeurathane for the finish coat. It is very easy and they have three or four different chip colors. You can even have the floor paint tinted with a wide color range. I chose light grey since I live in Florida and the summer sun would fry you and your feet if the floor was a dark color.

Hey big I'm drivin over to Tampa St. Pete area to visit a few friends for X-Mas and takin the old boat over, you know any good spots for trout or reds? Don't worry I'm a catch and release guy and if you do and wanna hook a brother up just pm me, I won't tell anyone. If not no worries, also boat is lookin sick brother hope ya got some time to catch some crabs this week!

bigwave said:
Just ask the guys at the paint counter at home depot. They are pvc plastic flakes. I put one coat of the floor paint on first and let dry for a day. Then I put a second coat on and used my hand to randomly scatter on the surface of the wet paint. Once it dried I followed with a clear coat of polyeurathane for the finish coat. It is very easy and they have three or four different chip colors. You can even have the floor paint tinted with a wide color range. I chose light grey since I live in Florida and the summer sun would fry you and your feet if the floor was a dark color.

I'm guessing the paint you used is probably similar to the Behr Garage Floor Paint.

Good stuff, I used it to do the floors of my shop. Almost time to have to do it again, though. Of course, my shop floor gets WAY more abuse in the course of a month, than your boat will ever see in its lifetime. :shock:

PSG-1 said:
bigwave said:

I'm guessing the paint you used is probably similar to the Behr Garage Floor Paint.

Good stuff, I used it to do the floors of my shop. Almost time to have to do it again, though. Of course, my shop floor gets WAY more abuse in the course of a month, than your boat will ever see in its lifetime. :shock:
Yes it is similar. I think it will be fine for the life of the wood. Next time the deck will be welded and sheet aluminum for the floors. I have one of the side lockers roughed in and it will be painted the same color as the decks. The glidden brand is only $25 a gallon, that fits my budget right now. Next time I will use Pettit easypoxy for the aluminum.

Latest posts