Modding my SEARS 1972 12ft Aluminum V-Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone please tell me if it's ok to coat the inside of my Aluminum V-Hull with this product ???.....Rust-Oleum Latex Primer for Aluminum or Galvanized Metal. (Color: Gray Primer)
Which is better for my aluminum v-hull....oil based or latex primer ????

I still have the store receipt to exchange it if need be. The actual paint that I will be using is marine paint.

in my opinion , i wouldnt go near that with latex. imho, the only thing latex is good for is painting the walls in your house. i would go with oil based since its going to be outside in the weather and in the water.

floor12.jpg

floor8.jpg

what kind of fishing do you mostly do ? I have kinda the same boat as you. With a deck that high do you think it might be a bit unstable? i plan on doing some mods but i dont think im going to go that high, no mater what size lake i go to it white caps can form in no time

Ya know what.....I agree with you.....The floor will be installed as low as possible so that the boat will be LESS stable. Since I don't want to spend too much cash on this project, I will be using RUSTOLEUM paint and etch primer.
Looking for opinions on how to prep the boat for painting.

floor4.jpg

prep40.jpg

What I am doing with my boat is, I stripped the bottom section to raw alum for steel flex, the top half I am hitting with a scuff pad and painting, Using the existing paint as primer. The and money.is is my second build and I learned the first time were I wasted my time and money. :mrgreen:

i would love to see this boat when its done since i just bought one exactly like it!

It's about time we got some decent weather....now I can continue with my project. Here is an update of what I recently have done....the pics are of my v-hull primed and with the new transom mount wood. I haven't decided if I am going to paint it red and black with grey on the inside to combine with grey carpeting...or sapphire blue with yellow on the inside and blue carpeting.
I am open to all opinions to help with my decision because I would like to buy the paint next week. Anyway....whatever color I decide I definitly will get matching colored seats.

after23.jpg

after22.jpg

Awesome, I have the same boat. All the way down to the green paint on the floor.
Can't wait to see how yours comes out.
I did a quick low budget build on mine this year and posted some picks
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18498
Might give you some ideas on what or what not to do :LOL2:

i just bought the same boat...i can't wait to see how yours looks when its done!!