Mounting a bow-mount minn kota maxxum 55 on a Lowe jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russo

Reaction score
I'm trying to mount this motor on a Lowe 1448 jon boat and its melting my brain.
I have to raise the base of the mount 2.75"-3" to clear the edge/side of the boat. fine, easy enough.
but the kicker here is that the bow of my boat is 2-2.5mm thick aluminum that i can no longer get behind.....

my lamebrain plan is to make a 1.5" thick base and securing it with like 10 mollies and a few brackets with self tapping screws. then on top of that another 1.5" thick slab and working the mess together with a bunch of outdoor decking screws

i know this is a bit cryptic, but does anyone have any words of advice before i make a complete mess?
has anyone else had to deal with anything similar on their boat?

Had the same problem on both my old boat and new boat. If anyway of getting underneath the deck i just drilled holes and bolted a riser down to it, then screwed the tm to the boards. A friend of mine also drilled big enough holes on his to use push through butterfly anchors, than screwing the tm to the boards. Believe it or not that method actually worked pretty well.

I have the same problem and have been thinking about how I am going to mount a TM once I rationalize the expenditure :)

I have thought about using spacers or standoffs instead of using a board as a riser.

I saw these first, but I dont think that they will give me enough lift to get over the gunnel...https://www.iboats.com/Motor_Mate_Shims/dm/cart_id.383739719--session_id.401135621--view_id.39524

Then I thought about cutting some PVC pipe to the right length and filling with bondo.

Any thoughts on where something like this would be a good or bad idea?

I don't know if this will help anyone but this is what I had a friend mak for me. you could probably tap thru it.

I have other pictures if you need them.

Attachments

• DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 905
Russ I decked up to the edge, just right there, looks like a box but, my plywood I attached sheet metal(I forget the thickness right now) underneath it, so whenn I shot the screws in it snugged up very tight. Its been over a year a little and it has been fine still, I have not had to re-tight anything

Latest posts