Mounting to Jon boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy fellas, I am stumped here and need your advice.

I have a 1436 Crestliner jon and I want to mount a couple rocket launcher rod holders to the seat benches. I also am mid way through building a cedar cover for the fuel tank compartment, and I need to mount some 2x4's to the bench seats.

Assuming that the bench seats are filled with foam, how should I go about mounting these to the benches? I keep coming back to toggle bolts. What do you suggest?

A lot depends on the specific construction, but here are a couple of thoughts. IF you can remove the seat tops relatively easily I would do so. Then remove the foam and use backing plates to secure the additions and reinstall. Aft covers (or decking) are easy and convenient to stand on, and even rocket launchers and similar additions can be subject to significant force if used as a grab handle in rough water, for example. So durability would be my concern. Post some pics and let us know how this turns out.

Thanks Rickybobby, you raise a good point about rigidity factor - one which I didn't think of.

I built a dual rocket launcher from parts kicking around in the shop, just for transport of rods during transport and net while fishing. This will be mounted to the rear bench seat. That would be simple enough to install, but the decking would be a different story. The entire rear of the boat seating area would need to be removed, and re-installed for non-structural integrity purposes. I am leaning more toward toggle bolts or self tapping sheet metal screws - but I doubt the sheet metal screws would hold very well over time.

Epoxy? PL? JB Weld??? What has everyone else done?

I've had good results using stainless woodscrews to fasten things to my boat. I use holes in whatever I'm screwing to the boat to mark or line up the holes in whatever I'm attaching against the boat while holding it where I want it. I drill holes in the boat that are equal too or slightly smaller than the shaft of the screw and smaller than the width of the threads. I use the smallest screws I think will hold whatever I'm attaching, hoping if they ever strip/wallow out the hole in the boat I can replace the screw w a slightly larger one that will grab/ get tight in the enlarged hole where the smaller screw pulled out. I also have used construction adhesive to help bond varnished wood to the boat along w screws and I have yet to have any screws loosen or fall out of them or any of my other screwed on mods. If you carefully tighten them down without stripping the smaller than the threads pre drilled holes they will hold tight. It's a good idea to use sealant/silicone or a dab of grease to lube the screw/hole before you tighten it.

I've tried using sheetmetal screws to hold seat swivels to the top of the bench before. I even tried using heavy duty loctite on them. They always seem work their way out or strip with a little time. I've been looking real hard at trying those rivnut (google it if you haven't seen them) the next time I'm in that situation again.

Rivetnuts work good. Can get the tool cheap, if you have a harbor freight around.

Latest posts