My 1548 semi-v G3 conversion from factory to my version.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
Bought a good used allwelded , no rivets 2005 year, 1548 semi-v model G3 boat with 1996 Yamie, hand pull start 25hp, but wanted more power because I was thinking about all the updates, ad ons, extra weight etc., and the weight of 2 ol folks of approx 230 lbs each. I added a 1996, 40hp Johnson electric start tiller handle model.
Then I went to the G3 manufacturing site and got a basic pic of my boat, and went into microsoft paint and drew up what I wanted on my computer.
Pics of when I bought it.pic.jpg

Further on down pics of my console: I wanted a small console to mount GPS, depth finder, start button, electric choke, kill switch button
bilge pump switch and lights switch and some place to mount a small 6 gallon gas tank
I drew up some plans again in mircosoft paint. and built this one out of 3/4" cedar and painted.
Unfinshed terminal block on side of console also.

Attachments

• Factory pic.jpg
    Factory pic.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,088
  • My boat floor plan.JPG
    My boat floor plan.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 3,088
  • my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    my.boat1548VBW..jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat11.jpg
    boat11.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,088
  • side.console.jpg
    side.console.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,088
  • Console buttons .jpg
    Console buttons .jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,088
  • con6.jpg
    con6.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,088
  • console3.jpg
    console3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 3,088
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,088
Bought a good used allwelded , no rivets 2005 year, 1548 semi-v model G3 boat with 1996 Yamie, hand pull start 25hp, but wanted more power because I was thinking about all the updates, ad ons, extra weight etc., and the weight of 2 ol folks of approx 230 lbs each. I added a 1996, 40hp Johnson electric start tiller handle model.
Then I went to the G3 manufacturing site and got a basic pic of my boat, and went into microsoft paint and drew up what I wanted on my computer.
I wanted a small console to mount GPS, depth finder, start button, electric choke, kill switch button
bilge pump switch and lights switch and some place to mount a small 6 gallon gas tank
I drew up some plans again in mircosoft paint. and built this one out of 3/4" cedar and painted.
Unfinshed terminal block on side of console also.

Pics and the drawing of the side mounted tackle and storage box.
Added side bunk boards for ez loading, and pole lights.

Pics of my poor pole for anchoring instead of with the old big booger anchor and lots of rope. Pole is the one laying on the deck and is 8' long, the one in the brackets is just for display to show where and what it does. The 2 brackets are 1/2" I-bolts all thread 6" long sealed with clear RTV on both sides.
Drilled a hole all the way thru the top of the 8' pole and added a rope with a loop in case the water is too deep and it falls thru, I will have some way to retrieve my pole back. Just drop thru both I-bolts into the mud, sand, etx to anchor, just pull up when ready to boogey off.
Cant afford the $1,200.00 electric power-pole. so I made my own.
P.S. the pole looks not straight, but thats just the way the pic looks, it is straight up and down.

Bought A G3 boat with smaller motor so upgraded to a 1996, 40hp Johnson tiller handle model. Removed decals and sanded and repainted and added these decals off Ebay.

Thes are the final pics of my boat. I love this boat, fishes great for two ol folks like my 83 uncle and I because we both weigh approx 230 lbs each. I usually run this boat about ½ to ¾ throttle open, but have the extra power when I need it. When by myself, THIS BOAT REALLY MOVES, LOL.
NOTE: The Yamaha 25hp was fine for one person and a bare boat, but not for two people and all the extra weight I was going to add to it. When you buy a boat and motor, make sure it want not to be UNDERPOWERED IN THE FURTURE WITH ALL THE ADDITIONS YOU PLAN TO ADD. Because there is nothing worse than an underpowered boat in heavy waves and wind,
Thanx for looking at my pics and hope you get some ideas from my boat.

Attachments

• tackle box.jpg
    tackle box.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,072
  • tackle box2.jpg
    tackle box2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,072
  • tackle box4.jpg
    tackle box4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3,072
  • tackle box5.jpg
    tackle box5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,072
  • tackle box..drawing.jpg
    tackle box..drawing.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,072
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3,072
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,072
  • extended lights2.jpg
    extended lights2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,072
  • extended lights.jpg
    extended lights.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,072
  • bunk.board.jpg
    bunk.board.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,072
  • poor-pole2.jpg
    poor-pole2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,072
  • poor-pole.jpg
    poor-pole.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,072
  • johnson.jpg
    johnson.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 3,072
  • mot4.jpg
    mot4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,072
I saw a post by Earlo in trailers titled inexpensive catwalk so I decide to build my on for my boat, see drawing and pics below. Thanx to Earlo for the post.

Attachments

• cw1.jpg
    cw1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw2.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw3.jpg
    cw3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw4.jpg
    cw4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw5.jpg
    cw5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw6.jpg
    cw6.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw7.jpg
    cw7.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,955
  • cw.jpg
    cw.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,955
I had a question asked about the seat pedastal in the floor towards the front in my boat.
I had built the seat pedastal and installed it for my 83 year old uncle so he could sorta sit in the middle and give more balance to the ride when traveling. I had put a small seat there for him with a back so he could move around real easy, but the first time he sat down, he "fell off the durn thing and hurt his BUTT" So I removed the seat pedastal and now its just wide open!! Hey, its sad BUTT true, now he either sits on the storage/tackle box I built ahead of the console, or slides the padded cooler to the front center and sits on it.

00 mod said:
What about carpeting the bare metal? What steps did you take there?
Jeff

I roughed the aluminum up with 60 grit sandpaper, wiped it down with lacquer thinner and covered all the alum with outdoor carpet paste and laid down the carpet. This is the way I have done it now on the last 5-6 boats with no problems. My boat is in a covered stall next to my house, so the only sun it gets it when I'm fishing, thanx, Doyle

I have a G3 1544 I'm getting ready to mod. I see you have two seat bases built into the back bench. I was thinking of doing that also. There is no access to the underside of the bench. How did you fasten those bases to the top of the bench??
I know those bases recommend through bolts.....but didn't know if just screwing from the topside would be sufficient.
Thanks, and great looking ride....

The reason you see 2 mounting plates is I had a tiller style motor, but since that pic, I have converted over to a center console, and the side plate is no longer used.
I drilled a small pilot hole and used 1/4" lag screws with a lock washer. The lag bolts have rough self drilling threads on them. I used a socket and ratchet for starting and about 10 turns, then a socket in my drill to finish them up. Your installing 6 lag screws so they hold. I have used this on a lot of boats in the past and never a problem so far.

chavist93 said:
Isn't the max rated hp for that boat 25?

Yes, 25 hp is max for a tiller style, but I had plans to add a lot weight for noise control and better ride and to convert over to a center console that I have done now. I talked to about 5 G3 boat dealers around the country and they told me the center console would handle my 40 hp motor with no problem. The G3 boats now have all aluminum transoms also. I wanted the extra power and speed and dependability in case of bad weather which we have unexpected here on the Gulf Coast all the time. In those times I'm running in 1 to 2 foot waves for approx. 3 to 5 miles.

Go to page 5 to see my conversion from this tiller style to a center console boat.
Post subject: My wooden side console tiller style to a center console.

Latest posts