My mod and wiring. Help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman23

Reaction score
Hello there! I have been looking on this forum for some time but this is my first post. Thanks to all for the wonderful ideas!

I have no wiring experience and want opinions. Here is my setup and what i want to do.

I have a 1960 something 14 ft alumacraft. Taking all the bench seats out and making supports for the sides a one piece floor and a nice bow storage area. I have a back trolling motor (36lb thrust)and one battery (nice big one). Also a depth finder.

What i want to do is put front and back nav lights, front and back cig lighter plugs for phone chargers, and two lights for night fishing or general lighting in boat. Wiring will run under deck through tube.

So my questions. I would like switches for the lighting (nav lights on one switch and general lights on another). Dont really need switches for the phone plugins, depth finder or trolling motor unless im missing some sort of benifit.

What would you suggest. Also possible fuses? Or can you get something with switches and fuses together? What size wiring for each thing?

If i could get inexpensive ideas on switches, fuses, and wiring it would be much appreciated. And where to purchase. I am going full out on this in the next week so if i could get it at home depot or menards or somewhere in person that would be awesome. Also where should i get the phone plugins at?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It sounds like you've pretty much got it figured out except for what components you're going to use. Yes, you can get switch panels with fuses built in to them. You don't need switches on every thing but use a fuse or circuit breaker on every thing. You also don't need to buy the most expensive items out there but don't cut corners too much when doing your electrical. Your best bet for finding an assortment of switch panels etc would be online but if you have a marine dealer close by, go look around and see this stuff in person to get a better idea of quality and what all is involved.

Here's how I rewired my tin https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24496