Need help deciding upon a motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
The Hamilton Guy said:
Which make of motor is better, a Honda or Mercury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people would tell you stay with Honda, but I have had a half dozen Mercury motors so far and they have been fantastic.

Previous boat had a Merc 25 HP four stroke. I liked that motor a lot. Never any issues. Drove my 15' Klamath side console at 27 MPH. Small Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu. That maker has some very good reputation. I now have a Honda 50 HP four stroke. I like it a lot too. But not a good comparison because being a 50 HP is it kind of a different class.

LDUBS said:
onthewater102 said:
jethro said:
The house batteries only get charged when they are removed from the boat in December...Am I just getting lucky?

That might not be true if you're trolling the entire time with an outboard running, but for anyone running and gunning and fishing on their electric trolling motor their starter battery is less charged after an excursion than it was heading out.

I had the same thought as Jethro when I read your post. Figured it probably was fishing style. My motor is running practically the entire time I'm out. Very seldom is anything drawing off the battery when the motor is off.

Ah yes, I am sure that is a big difference. I am always on the motor as well. Even my kicker motor has a charging circuit.

I got the 20 hp Mercury with ego and electric start.

The electric start is a nice feature that I didn’t have before, and I am liking it.

The idle seems a little jittery but we will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk