Need help identifying something!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this. I was able to make this rod adjustable for the shifter on my motor for the jet pump.

P4160133.jpg

Link to thread. shifter build

Jim said:
I have 2 metal rods 1/2 inch thick made of metal that I need to connect sort of like this rotisserie spit pictured. I need to guarantee that they will not come apart unless I break them down to put them away.

25929.jpg

fender66 said:
Red Green would use Duct Tape! :LOL2:

Im with fender on this one....
around these parts, they just use some more duct tape for that :mrgreen:

are you looking for the serrated washers, the quick disconnect for threaded rod, or a threaded coupling/connector?

Im seeing three different applications.

Hanr3 said:
are you looking for the serrated washers, the quick disconnect for threaded rod, or a threaded coupling/connector?

Im seeing three different applications.

I was looking for a quick disconnect for a threaded rod...I think. Thats what it sounds like I am looking for. It looks like the teeth thing on a transducer but the only way it tightens is to keep on screwing the rod together and the teeth keep the rod from coming apart.

Ok, here is another way hopefully explaining it so you guys can help me. I have an 8 foot rotisserie rod to cook whole lambs and pigs on(not really, but just picture it). I want to be able to break the rod down into two separate pieces(4 feet each). When I screw the rod together I need to guarantee that it will not come apart unless I unscrew it with a little force. I want it to be smooth and no extra pins or features to keep it together(things that can be lost).

Sorry guys, I work on computers.....this is the best I can give you. :LOL2:

Sounds like you could just tap and die the rod.

How much weight does it need to hold?

Ok this is what I am making.............

I am going to have my cousin machine me a manual, budget "power pole" for my boat. I want it to be 2 piece(about 4 feet long each) so I can break it apart and screw it together when I am in 8 feet of water or less. I am also going to have him make me a 3rd section if needed so I can anchor in 12 feet of water or less. When I screw this whole pole together, the last thing I want is for half of it to disappear in the lake. So I want no pins or any extras. 2-piece pole screwed together not coming apart. I want it to be fairly solid so I can drive it into the lake bottom.

Is this idea even worth it? Waste of time and effort?

so it looks something like this with a nice machined handle:
342907-1.jpg

Good idea, but there's a lot more to this than sticking a pole in the ground. How are you planning on attaching it to your boat. You said manual, so I'm guessing you will be putting it in the water by hand. I'm real curious how this would work. Haven't seen or studied the "real" thing so I'm not sure how those work either.

I think this idea is perfect for those coves you come up to but don't feel like anchoring(rope, anchor....mess) into. The water will not be moving much so if this can just hold the boat there while you fish the cove...it will be good.

First idea would be to put a stop on the top so the pole doesn't slip through and disappear into the abyss below. :LOL2:

Ok this would be pretty easy, I would use tube not rod though. Your cousin being a machinist should make it easy. I'd use like 1" tube. Have him machine you an female tube insert like this. Or buy these they are $11 each though. And then machine a bolt down to go inside the male end of the tube (or have him make male inserts, I'd use a bolt since I'm a redneck not a machinist. LOL ) I doub't threads this big would work loose but you could just use a lock washer of some sort (wavy washer) to give it some security. It would wind up looking like a long heavy duty paint roller handle.

110122-1-225.jpg

IF this were my project and those were my requirements. I'd use a couple of air hose quick connect fittings. Thread a male to one rod, and a female to the other rod.

https://www.dino-power.com/products/DP-401-MILTON-quick-coupler-connector.htm

DP402 and DP405 are both female threads to fit over the pipe/rod. They also match to each other, one end male the other female. Pull the curled ring back, slide the female home, and let go of the curled slide. Instant lock, only way its coming apart is when you slide the curled slide back again.

On second thought, a simple threaded connector will work just fine. Not like your going to be doing donuts around that pole to unscrew it.

Latest posts