Need ideas for repairing drain plug sleeve

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
I tore the wood out of my transom today and found that the sleeve/hole that drain plug goes into has a hole in the top of it and is leaking water into my boat. I need some ideas for fixing it. I was thinking of using jb weld and then using goop coat it on top of that. I don't have away or know anyone that could weld it for me.

I got the picture to upload this time, had to use computer instead of iPad.

Attachments

• drain plug.jpg
    drain plug.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 715
I would put a backing sleeve on that and hit it with the alumaweld (brazing). The stuff works pretty good on things if you can get the repair area clean.

You may be able to put a backing rod in there and hit it with JB Weld. Then pull the backing when cured.

How about a longer plug with no taper, would that work?

I may have somebody who can weld it for me. That way I know it will be fixed. Thanks for the replies.

Just an update, I found what I need on iboats.com, it is called Drain fittings kit by Moeller part # 020848-001 and Flanging Tool part # 020700-00. This is the hole/ tube that the plug goes into. You press it in with flanging tool so you don't have to weld it. It has a rubber o-ring with it and I will also use some 5200. After I get it installed I will post an update to how it works out.

Take your time when marking and cutting the tube. If it is not perpendicular to the transom it will not flare right. Length is also important. I have found marking the tube in place with a sharp pencil held against the transom works best for getting the correct amount of over run to flare. To much and the tube splits. Too little and it wont seal. I also change the bolts in both of my flare tools to fine thread. Less effort needed to flare the tube.

Latest posts