Need some advice please.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basshunter25

Reaction score
I really need a 35horse to push my boat and I found this one on Craigslist today. I have been talking to him for a minute and he agreed to take my old iphone approximate value of between 100-150 and 150 cash trade for the motor. He says it was running beginning of last summer and now hasn't been running. He says he thinks its the head gasket but doesn't know for sure. I want to get some advice to wether or not its worth the risk. I don't know much about outboards but if I could get it running for 200 or so I would be more than happy to make the trade. What do you think?
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/1860489345.html

First do a compression test and check for spark. If thats ok spray some fuel in the carb and see if the motor will pop.

I'd question why the head gasket is bad.Some times when there is a head issue there is a reason,like overheat?Of all my motors I've never had head problems.

crazymanme2 said:
I'd question why the head gasket is bad.Some times when there is a head issue there is a reason,like overheat?Of all my motors I've never had head problems.

Same here. Head gaskets don't just go bad.

Check for over heating discoloration on the block. Head gaskets are easy to replace as long as the bolts come out.
The way he worded his ad and him bringing up a possible head gasket issue makes it sound like he over heated the motor the last trip out and it quit on him. I've never over heated a motor but from what i've read it doesn't necessarily mean the motor is shot.
You could part it out if you had to and probably make your money back.

The engine looks like either 1980-1981 vintage....somewhere around there. Use that information to make sure you are in the ballpark moneywise.
The 2-cylinder 35 is an easy one to discern whether or not it has been overheated, That white color on the block turns brownish yellow with excessive heat. Second, look at the coil mount area and see if the coils have melted onto the cylinder head. I wouldn't consider an engine that has been this seriously overheated, there are too many of these around to choose from. If all looks good then proceed with your normal checks which would include a spark check (1/4" minimum air gap at cranking speed), lower unit oil, compression, and water in the carburetor, etc.

Guy sold the motor tonight. Probably for the better ive got a running motor and since I wouldn't be working on the motor myself I really wouldn't save a ton of money over buying one that runs. Did notice tonight that some oil is leaking out of my motor. Not sure where it is coming from but there was a spot about the size of a half dollar under the motor. Is this ok or do I have a problem I need to fix immediately. Its been running good. If I can't get help on this thread I will open a new one.
Thanks

Usually.........and take that for what it's worth, the oil you see leaking out of your engine will be unburned fuel/oil. Is it coming from the propeller opening at the rear of the gearcase? If so that is probably what it is. To be sure you can pull your prop and visually check the propshaft seal. Also the smell of unburned fuel/oil will be different than gearcase oil. Used gearcase oil usually has a sulphur-like smell to it.

Thanks Pappy! I wiped it off earlier and just went downstairs and ran my finger between the propeller and gearcase and sure enough thats where its coming from. =D> Its not alot but I was still concerned. Thanks again.

Latest posts