New boat, need pods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc9loser

Reaction score
OK, just took delivery of a new 2056 Weldbilt tunnel hull. It has a Tohatsu 50 on it and does 29 mph. They mounted the battery in the stern, and when I took it out I had the 6 gallon tank in the stern too.

Problem is it rides a bit lower in the rear than than I would like in spite of the light wt 205 lb motor.

It would seem that pods would be the way to fix this.. along with relocating the battery and tank.

The problem is that when I attempted to order pods from Weldbilt they suggested against it because there might be problems with cavitation etc with the tunnel and pods kicking water here and there.

Anyone have problems with this when AFTER you added pods???

I am thinking of adding the beavertail pods from Cabelas.

2013-09-09142548.jpg

This is the only picture I took of it in the water from the side, the stern doesn't look too bad in this one but It is more with my fat butt driving it... maybe that is the problem... seriously any info on pods would be appreciated!

2013-09-10113235.jpg

That's a curious setup for a 20 footer with only a 50hp prop. It looks like everything is in the rear when you are underway which helps it plane out but is going to hurt it drafting.

I'd start by moving the battery all the way up front and see how that affects the draft and planing performance.

There's a couple guys who've added pods on prop hulls on the forum, search in the jon boat conversions sub forum for them. Honestly with that much real estate I'd play with the loading, maybe even move the console up as far as the cables will allow before making it longer.

I agree that moving the fuel tank and the battery towards the bow will help a lot. You may also want to look into trim tabs (aka "smart tabs") rather than pods. They'll help you hop up on plane much more quickly, cruise on plane at lower speeds, and won't cause any issues with cavitation. They're very popular down here in FL where folks run them on their flats skiffs in less than 8" of water. They won't help to float/raise the stern at rest, but they will help greatly while underway. You can get electric or hydraulic models that are adjustable on the fly, or you can used fixed versions. Lenco in the most popular the brand of choice down here, but there are several other brands as well.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329138#p329138 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 44 minutes ago[/url]"]I like the the layout of this boat.

x2. Give mine a white deck, midnight blue hull, and a t top.

I Have a weldbilt 1448 with a 4o hp tohatsa I moved the battery & gas tank up front & had trom tabs 1" aluminum welded on with a 9 degree angle back of boat sat higher and it stopped bouncing. hope this helps.

Two suggestions - Run a 4 blade prop which will lift the stern while you're running, it's what I'm running on my Etec. Two, add Lenceo Trim Tabs. I've got a 9" x 12" set of tabs and makes the WORLD of difference and one of the BEST things I've done to this boat.

Two suggestions - Run a 4 blade prop which will lift the stern while you're running, it's what I'm running on my Etec. Two, add Lenco Trim Tabs. I've got a 9" x 12" set of tabs and makes the WORLD of difference and one of the BEST things I've done to this boat.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 957
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 957
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 957
I have tunn.. and pods and cavatation plate(Shallowblaster).But what I see is everything you add creates drag and slows mine down 2/3 mph.And creates turbulance I have never been able to get my transducer to work at anything but idle(just no good place to mount it back there in clean water) I miss that...but its work in progress and it works ok on Trolling M up front but thats at slow Too...Just throwing that out food for thought..Its what I have seen so far and there may be more to story...if and when iI geter figgered out

First off the boat is awesome. When you were first running it and noticed that it sat low in the back was the boat empty except for you, the battery and the fuel all in the back of the boat?

I would think that when u get all your gear in those boxes up front, add a passenger in that seat, plus maybe a trolling motor and batteries up front, cooler, livewell with water,etc. She'll level out.

I wouldnt go welding on it or drilling for tabs untill your absolutely sure u NEED to.

Latest posts