New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on all of those sentiments! Had to source tons of parts for my 77 RD400 and was awfully difficult and slow. I plan to use them for my boat, hopefully will be able to afford the 25 suzuki remote model when the time comes.

Well no fresh paint on boat but did get the new water heater installed and working. Freaking thing by the time the fat lady song cost about $550.00 dollars. That is Ok. Weather for the next 5 days will be in the upper sixty's and low seventy's. No freezing temps overnight and very low humanity. Good time to finish paint. Motivated is a understatement.

I agree on all of those sentiments! Had to source tons of parts for my 77 RD400 and was awfully difficult and slow. I plan to use them for my boat, hopefully will be able to afford the 25 suzuki remote model when the time comes.
Zip if your talking motorcycles on the RD400 have I got a story for you. My first real bike was a RD350. Spent 3 months back in 1975 staring at a Yamaha sign overseeing M.C.R.D. San Diego California. The day I graduated took a cab over to the Yamaha dealership and bought a brand new 350 RD. Last year of the RD 350 orange paint. Rode it every day I owned it when I could minus deployments and field exercises. Later on bought a brand new Honda 750K. Found out later on that was the last year of the single overhead cam. Have owned many a bike since then some expensive some not but the RD350 and thinking about her even to this day brings a tear in my eyes. Seventeen years old as a Lance Corporal in the Marines with a RD350 in Southern California was Beyond Awesome.

Zip if your talking motorcycles on the RD400 have I got a story for you. My first real bike was a RD350. Spent 3 months back in 1975 staring at a Yamaha sign overseeing M.C.R.D. San Diego California. The day I graduated took a cab over to the Yamaha dealership and bought a brand new 350 RD. Last year of the RD 350 orange paint. Rode it every day I owned it when I could minus deployments and field exercises. Later on bought a brand new Honda 750K. Found out later on that was the last year of the single overhead cam. Have owned many a bike since then some expensive some not but the RD350 and thinking about her even to this day brings a tear in my eyes. Seventeen years old as a Lance Corporal in the Marines with a RD350 in Southern California was Beyond Awesome.
Thank you Sir for your service

Sure glad I stayed home vice going after the water heater. View attachment 117786View attachment 117787 Opened and inspected prior to signing for delivery. Looking good. Pretty quick ordered late on the 30th and here it sits on the 2th. Going to leave it in the box until we are done with boat and trailer. Then we will set it up in water and run at idle for 10 minutes. Then off to a lake.
That's exciting. I'm happy for you. It's always nice to get new toys.

Perfect weather all day. Got the top rail lightly sanded and ready for primer. Decided to go with the touch up work on the blue paint. It was not much just a few areas were I sanded out some minor runs with 320 grit. IMG_1807.JPG Light wind and a low of 57 degrees throughout the night which is perfect. Laid down some old rugs across the frame so when I go to flip the boat I should be OK. No fresh paint were I need to tape off for the black that goes on the ribs and the top rail. In the morning plan on primer all of the transom hardware and the top rail of boat. I have about 5 days of outstanding weather so we should get her done. Transom hardware will be done in black. Out of all the small 4 inch rollers used these are by far the best.IMG_1809.JPG They work great. Wish I had knew about this make and brand before I started. New outboard is safely stowed away.IMG_1808.JPG Took instructions and warranty package out but outboard will stay in boxed. Have a appointment next month for carburetor work and a few other up grades. Decided to rebuild trailer vice buying new. From what I have read and discussed with a few boat mechanics the new trailers kind of suck. Have a lot of work to get done but believe we will be fishing in the early spring. Really looking forward to it.

Well no fresh paint on boat but did get the new water heater installed and working. Freaking thing by the time the fat lady song cost about $550.00 dollars. That is Ok. Weather for the next 5 days will be in the upper sixty's and low seventy's. No freezing temps overnight and very low humanity. Good time to finish paint. Motivated is a understatement.
You sound like me in the middle of replacing all four rotors and pads on the Little Mule I just got the parts in to finish repairing our outside central a/c unit.
I did the new water about 2 years ago. If you want to save some money in the winter invest in a water heater jacket. Ours doesn’t use near as mych gas now.

Perfect weather all day. Got the top rail lightly sanded and ready for primer. Decided to go with the touch up work on the blue paint. It was not much just a few areas were I sanded out some minor runs with 320 grit. View attachment 117825 Light wind and a low of 57 degrees throughout the night which is perfect. Laid down some old rugs across the frame so when I go to flip the boat I should be OK. No fresh paint were I need to tape off for the black that goes on the ribs and the top rail. In the morning plan on primer all of the transom hardware and the top rail of boat. I have about 5 days of outstanding weather so we should get her done. Transom hardware will be done in black. Out of all the small 4 inch rollers used these are by far the best.View attachment 117827 They work great. Wish I had knew about this make and brand before I started. New outboard is safely stowed away.View attachment 117826 Took instructions and warranty package out but outboard will stay in boxed. Have a appointment next month for carburetor work and a few other up grades. Decided to rebuild trailer vice buying new. From what I have read and discussed with a few boat mechanics the new trailers kind of suck. Have a lot of work to get done but believe we will be fishing in the early spring. Really looking forward to it.
What kind of upgrades? You fixing to turn it into a 50hp uh.
I actually installed different jets in all three carburetors on my 1992 40hp Yamaha when I had to rebuild them. It’s got a little more pep now.
Something I read about the difference between a 40 and a 50 we’re just the jets.

What kind of upgrades? You fixing to turn it into a 50hp uh.
I actually installed different jets in all three carburetors on my 1992 40hp Yamaha when I had to rebuild them. It’s got a little more pep now.
Something I read about the difference between a 40 and a 50 we’re just the jets.
Not a performance upgrade. Just a few upgrades to make it last longer and run a little smoother and idle lower.

You sound like me in the middle of replacing all four rotors and pads on the Little Mule I just got the parts in to finish repairing our outside central a/c unit.
I did the new water about 2 years ago. If you want to save some money in the winter invest in a water heater jacket. Ours doesn’t use near as mych gas now.
Got one. Heater is in the bathroom enclosed in what looks like a cabinet. Pan and drain required. Kicked my rear exchanging it out. Should be good to go for the next 7 or so years.

Not a performance upgrade. Just a few upgrades to make it last longer and run a little smoother and idle lower.
That sounds awesome. Mine hates to idle much. When we went night fishing I idled it the whole time out. I haven’t had time to burn it out yet but I can pull the prop and see sludge. For a pre mix it only smokes when I first start it. But that night it was smoking like a train. I’m thinking of using a decarbonizer here at home and then take it to the water and give its one WOT time. And I used to live to troll with the outboard idling but not with this one. I drag baits with the trolling motor or drift. I even thought about looking for a small kicker just for trolling.

Last edited:
Got one. Heater is in the bathroom enclosed in what looks like a cabinet. Pan and drain required. Kicked my rear exchanging it out. Should be good to go for the next 7 or so years.
Yep ours is in the same closet as our central unit. There was just enough room. Had to decide I was done talking and went to the shop and got my BFH and banged the stand into place. Then the heater went right in. I put a pan under mine as well but it’s right across from the back door so it’s easy to hook a hose to and drain the crude out of it every so often.

Back when I was crazy and running fast bass boats 225 was it until they came out with the 300 but my partners boat would still out run those. We also put many a pretty jet boats to shame.
Rusty was the technician at the marine dealership I was fishing out of. He left a job of many years being a Ford technician. He could read something and retain every word. I watched him set up many boats for people. We had guys order a new Triton then had him redo what the factory did as far as set up. He’d crawl un them and take measurements and calculate weight lift.
He took his own 21, Triton with a 225 took off the ecm and replaced it with one from a 300 (all Mercury) ordered high performance heads then drilled out his exhaust manifold with a hole saw then set it up.
It Dino tested at 320hp. Without the weight of a bigger motor.
We named the boat Big Red. It sounded like a dragster. He would start it at the shop on muffs and while it idled the antenna on his truck looked like a whip going back and forth.
I got in it with him and was holding a gps. We hit 92mph. I looked and didn’t see the water line coming from underneath the boat so my crazy a$$ turned around in the seat and found it. He was driving the boat keeping it balanced on the 12”x18” running pad in front of the outboard. Oh and he had to seal off the upper water pickups because they road out of the water.
It’s a wonder I’m here to talk about it. I tried and couldn’t drive it with out it pad walking on me. He knew just how to handle that wheel.
Today I’m like no thanks. My 1992 40hp Yamaha pushes the flat bottom plenty fast. I do enjoy running it wot but it’s all I need.

Busy day. Taping everything off took forever. Painting was fun knowing the tape job was good. Still have the top portain to do but very happy with the way the side rails and front will turn out after removing the tape.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 3