New Member, New(to me) 14' Starcraft with ID needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklett

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I am from NJ and have been involved with boats and fishing for a good part of my life. I have made a few wooden boats but this is my first aluminum one. I plan on cleaning it up(new paint) and replacing the wood with possibly some minor mods come winter. All that I know about it is that it is a 14' Starcraft from 1979. At some point the transom board was replaced and the capacity tag was lost so it only has a state issued HIN. I don't know the model or weight/HP limits of it so I have to find that out somehow so I can have a new tag made up. Is there anywhere that I could find out what I have? (BTW, that is my brother in law, not me in the pictures)

Attachments

• 2012-07-29_19-06-21_414.jpg
    2012-07-29_19-06-21_414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 701
  • 2012-07-29_19-06-44_433.jpg
    2012-07-29_19-06-44_433.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 701
Just a note, I have put in a temporary plywood seat where the one was removed so the hull would be properly supported.

I'd guess...about 6-700 lbs and 20-25 hp.

JUST a guess based on my boat's specs.

Have fun. :)

If you want to, for about 30 bucks, Starcraft will send you one for your particular boat. 1-866-772-4538 and tell them you want a capacity plate. I have heard that you can make your own, but you need to know the "real" capacity for your boat, maybe by searching for a old Starcraft brochure from 1979 with the capacity specs for your boat, or someone that has the "same" boat.
I have a 1965 Starcraft 14' tinny like yours but not the "same" as yours. See attached for my capacity plate...

Attachments

• capacity.JPG
    capacity.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 670
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have done a bunch of looking around and it appears to be a super star(everything I've seen matches mine except for the years), but does that sound right? I want to call Starcraft for a capacity tag and I want to be sure I am asking for the right thing. I guess that since it was given a homemade HIN I could always figure the tag out myself and have one made but I would really like to know what I have. BTW, what's left of the logo on the side is in italics with an arrow going through it if that helps.

Might find some info here---> https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=484566
or here---> https://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Good luck...

Thanks, the first link confirmed it for me. That boat is identical to mine so I am pretty sure that 1979 is when it was re-numbered. I will be sure to post a thread when I start to fix her up.

wow, i have just about the same story as you, also in NJ with that same approximate model starcraft boat, no capacity plate, and a state issued HIN, except mine was renumbered in 1980.