New project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmartin

Reaction score
I have 10 foot jon I want to fix up. I am going to start with th bottom. it has some leaks that I used flex seal on should I remove ? should I sand the whole bottom ?

What do you mean by fix up? There are better ways to fix leaks on tin boats.

Welcome to tin boats. It would be helpful to further explain what it is you want to do.

It sounds like flex seal was used in an attempt to seal a leaky hull. It would help if you can share more about the problem. A few leaky rivets, leak along a seam, or ?? Circle back with more detail and pics if you can, and you will likely hear from folks who have dealt with a similar problem.

With apologies to those who use it properly, I am going to admit I have a strong bias against using stuff like flex seal on a boat hull. Reason being it is often improperly used as a quick and dirty band aid that does not really address the problem.

On my old Jon boat, not only were rivits leaking the ribs on the bottom were worn thru from dragging it over rocks and sand. I didn't need a fancy fix as I just use it in my pond. I thoroughly cleaned and sanded the bottom and inside bottom. Not removing all the paint but just giving it a good scuff. I found a product called " leak stopper" available at Home Depot and Tractor Supply. It is a water proof roof coating that stays clear. It is fairly thick but is brushable. I used painters tape on ribs on the bottom so the sealer didn't run thru while giving the inside bottom a good heavy coat. After drying turned it over and gave the bottom a good coat, extra coat over ribs. When dry ( one week) I used rust plum exterior enamel and rattle cans to paint inside and outside. A roller on flat areas and spray cans on hard to reach areas. That was done almost 9 years back, hasn't leaked a drop since !! Still gets dragged over sand and gravel but kept under a leanto to keep it out of direct sun. Still looks as good as the day I finished it....well Maby a lot dirtier, but still ggod.