New Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Dimas

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I built a new transom and knee brace for my Valco. Purchased a transom saver as well. My motor bouncing should be a thing of the past. I haven't tried IMG_0282.JPG it yet because the Gluvit is still curing. Here's a couple of pictures.IMG_0283.JPG

it looks great. i am correctly replacing my transom in what looks to be the same type of boat. any tips you may have would be great it is my first boat project. thank you.

Thanks guys. There is nothing magical about it. Just use exterior grade plywood like everyone said. I needed 2pieces of 5/8"
to make up 1.25 thickness and just epoxied them together. Used a cardboard template to figure out what I wanted and then traced it onto the plywood and cut it out with a band saw. Clamped in the boat and drilled the necessary holes for the bolts. For rivets I bought closed end rivets from McMaster-Carr. I used Gluvit to seal everything up. My Knee brace was a piece of junk so I used it as a template and made up a new one out of 5/16" aluminum and then had a welder weld it up. Works great and wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Just take your time and make sure everything lines up.

How did the spar varnish work out? Im thinking of returning my west system epoxy due to cost ($85) and going with the spar. How long will 6 coats last?

Latest posts