Not a massive french pike, but a decent OH pike

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjkl1

Reaction score
I normally fish for bass at my friends private lake, mandatory CNR, and not allowed on the lake w/my boat. A few weeks ago the Northern's invaded my favorite bass spot and started sawing off my spinner baits. Came back the other day armed with heavier line, steel leaders, big hefty single pounded colorado spinner baits armed with big old grub trailers and trailer hooks and taught those bad boys whos there daddy :twisted: Landed about 18 on Tuesday included a 33" 12# and a tubby 34" 14.5 pounder. What fun! Now I know in MN or WI that'd be bait size, but here in OH thats a decent fish, certainly my biggest pike. Going bigger and heavier next time to see if a bigger monster resides in there.

Related....I can NOT get decent photos of fish when I am by myself, which is quite often. Head shots mostly, and when I lay 'em on the ground or deck of the boat for a quick photo before tossing them back there is no perspective on whether its a 4# pike or the 14.5 I got the other day. Sent a pic of a little smallie to a friend, first fish landed in my new boat, and dude thought it was a nice fish when it was a dink. Sent him a pic of a big pike and he thought it was a dink.

an 18" pike is fun to catch anywhere you are. Especially if you go with a medium or medium-light setup. Want to have another blast with them. Switch back to your standard bass size spinnerbaits, and hook a sucker minnow through the head and run a trailer/stinger hook into its belly. Slop that thing up into the weeds and they come out of every nook can cranny to gobble it up.

Those sound like good northerns. Give up on bass and start chasing those things around.

Get a crappy little mini-tripod for your camera then take a self-timed picture. I have the camera and the mini tripod in the boat and have not used it that way yet. But when I catch a decent fish and I'm alone I am sure I will figure it out.
mini_tripod.jpg

-Cheech

drjkl1 said:
Related....I can NOT get decent photos of fish when I am by myself, which is quite often. Head shots mostly, and when I lay 'em on the ground or deck of the boat for a quick photo before tossing them back there is no perspective on whether its a 4# pike or the 14.5 I got the other day. Sent a pic of a little smallie to a friend, first fish landed in my new boat, and dude thought it was a nice fish when it was a dink. Sent him a pic of a big pike and he thought it was a dink.

You can also take pics with the fish laying next to a measuring stick.

Congrats on getting out there and catching some nice fish.

:beer:

Latest posts