Not a tin boat, but.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_ray_p

Reaction score
ff4441a8bef4d114e95243be37672b38.jpg
aaf242381fc749a51fc1074edd92fbf9.jpg

Ok this is my ocean kayak Ambush. I would like to build a flat deck in the front and back for seating and storage. Just not sure how to go about it! I will be using a trolling motor on the built in transom. And will be mounting a fish /depth finder as well. This yak is 13'9",so i know there isn't alot of space to work with. Any ideas or info will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my phone, son! Lol

Was kinda thinking about flat decking the whole thing with some hinged lids for storage, and just mount some slightly raised seats on the front and back. This thing has an 800lb capacity. It weighs 100lb empty, so added weight isn't really a big deal, except for loading and unloading it. I might need to get a small trailer.

Sent from my phone, son! Lol

Not trying to be a negative nancy, but why not just sell it and search craigslist for a tin. There's 100's out there. If your going to go through all the hassle of decking, trailer, just go for a whole boat

I say build it brother! I had a blast customizing my seventeen foot flat back canoe. I built a trailer with bunks. I love fishing out of it. I can get areas no one else can. Build on!

To each is own if you want to build it I say go for it. I would build it out of aluminum, but then again I am a metal man myself

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I don't think aluminum is going to work very well with this hull. I could use marine grade ply, but I would like to use something similar to the original construction. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

A long time ago, I read a quote....it went something like...

"If God hadn't invented wood, we'd have to invent it ourselves."

Nothing is as flexible, strong and as easy to work with as wood. Properly finished, it will last a long time, even with our watery uses. Sure, it will rot, but not very soon if you take care of it. Have fun.

richg99

Ok I found an old spinal board that is around 3/4 of an inch thick. Was thinking about making the seats out of that, but having issues figuring out how to mount them. Do they make extra long rivets?

richg99 said:
A long time ago, I read a quote....it went something like...

"If God hadn't invented wood, we'd have to invent it ourselves."

Nothing is as flexible, strong and as easy to work with as wood. Properly finished, it will last a long time, even with our watery uses. Sure, it will rot, but not very soon if you take care of it. Have fun.

richg99
Might end up having to use wood, but still will have issues with mounting/installing.

I also got a trolling motor and battery this week. The kayak has a transom for a trolling motor but it's a tad to narrow for the mount that it came with. So I'm thinking about making one out of the Spinal board as well, that will raise it up out of the hollow enough to mount it properly. I'll have to drill through the existing transom and attach the new one with stainless lag bolts I guess.

cf4036aaaf9dd0c737cd6b29849757f5.jpg

Was thinking about this ad a seating arrangement. Sorry not the best pic.

3ea09d0c2db40aa9298c9c82349ef0ab.jpg

I was thinking three to four lag bolts, and then having a little wider toward the top to accommodate the trolling motor. Just don't want it to high.

For fasteners, have you considered well-nuts?

richg99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CVLCTQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1459002016&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=well-nuts&dpPl=1&dpID=41YNxDXBnkL&ref=plSrch

richg99 said:
For fasteners, have you considered well-nuts?

richg99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CVLCTQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1459002016&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=well-nuts&dpPl=1&dpID=41YNxDXBnkL&ref=plSrch
Hmmm, then I could use whatever length bolts I needed. Something to think about! Thanks!

I winder of Jack nuts world be a stronger option?

Latest posts