Oars and oarlocks for my 14.5' sylvan row boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvan14.5

Reaction score
I have been researching all the variations of oarlocks and oars. There seems to be a passion for this in coastal areas with wood boats but not for tinboats. Ive always thought of this as plan C for getting back to shore. Now that I'm retired I want to enjoy the sport of rowing to my fishing hole. Any one out there familiar with the subject of horned oarlocks vs. closed oarlocks and oval oarlocks?

i have got a pair of oars with with pins on craigslist . i just posted the listing today. they are 66" long. Are you looking to buy some?

thanks but i need 8' oars but i am interested in any opinions on oarlocks round vs.horns plastic vs. leather etc.

I use 7'6" oars on my 12' game fisher. Takes practice to get used to it. But you get a great workout and fish at the same time. I love it but not for everyone. ;-)

Just got (as in yesterday) a set of 7'6" oars off of eBay for my 14' Sylvan. $60 + $26 shipping.
I'm going to go with the clamp on oar locks for the time being. Reason is I don't have to drill any holes, I can move them up or down to find the right position and they are only $8 at Wal-Mart.
As a kid I always remember the pinned style bending

I ended up making a set of oars and oar locks from a plan I found online using 2-1"x8"x8' fir and some 6" bolts and misc. hardware. They work great and look outstanding wrapped with oar leathers.

Seems like you enjoy your rowing. I like the idea of the oar leathers. When I was in Sea Scouts back in the 6th grade we used the horned oar locks and we tied a Turk's head knot on each oar to help keep them positioned. The oar leathers look like they will do the job a lot better. Being able to rotate the oars as you row seems to let you get serious with less effort.

For casual use, I like the clamp on oar locks so that I can let the oars trail in the water while I do other things and I don't have to worry about them coming loose.

I have a 16' Sea Nymph and have used 10' oars with locks and leathers to row around shorelines, row through weed beds and position over reefs. The oars have also been a great back-up to my 30 hp outboard. I've had this set-up for well over 30 years. The oars were made in British Columbia and the locks & leathers came from a fisheries supply store in Washington state. I mounted the oar mounts into oak blocks and bolted them to the outside of the boat. Finally, I have ring buoy holders mounted towards the bow of the boat to hold the paddle section of the oars while underway. I use a bungie cord strapped to each oar mount, looped over the oars and to keep the oars safe while traveling. Hope this gives you some ideas on use and mounting of oars!

Latest posts