Old gas? yes....I'm a newbie..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, season #2 is almost upon me here with my '99 Yamaha. I had it winterized at a marina, but did end up having a fair amount (maybe 4 gallons) of fuel left from the last time I used the motor in mid-October. I live in Canada, so the pre-mixed fuel has been subjected to extreme cold temperatures all winter in a garage. My hunch is that this stuff should be disposed-of at the local hazardous waste depot and I should buy new...would you guys agree?

Thanks,
Rob

I would inspect the tank for sludge and run the heck out of it.

That's just me, though. :wink:

Did you add staybil before the winter?
if so It should be fine add fresh gas and TAKE OFF..

Loggerhead Mike said:
staybil is good for ruining your needle seats
I add it to my tank every season and never have an issue but dumping 4 gallons is one thing
my boat has a 54 gallon tank that gets filled at the end of the season

I mix some of the old stuff with my lawnmower.The thing never starts good anyways:).Good for burning ant hills up too.

If it had stabil in it, you are good to go. If not, mix small amounts of it with each tank of lawnmower gas. Will do fine there, even being premix. Heck, we pour a gallon or so of old premix in the old truck with a fillup if we have some that needs disposing. Wouldn't do that with the real new engines, but just fine on carbed motors.

Excellent ideas guys, thanks! Yeah, those 4 gallons are in a 5 gallon/20 liter tank...so there is only so much that a little fresh gas would do I'm thinking. It is a C40 and they can take anything :wink: but still....why take the chance.

Rob

Gas was probably $4 a gallon. That's why I would take the chance. :lol:

In all honesty, if that tank wasn't seeing large temperature swings to create condensation it is probably fine. I have run gas that was a lot older than 4 months.

Latest posts