Older Mercury 9.8

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW544

Reaction score
Hey guys my grandfather gave me a old camo mercury 9.8 I do not have the year or serial as I write this but the motor is giving me problems. For starters the motor only wants to start with starting fluid unless you pull it 10 or more times, the neutral position is forward and reverse is neutral I think this is cause of when they last worked on the motor they must have not had it in neutral or something, and the motor makes hardly any rpms won't plane but when you take the cover off and throttle the carb by hand the motor takes off. I never used the motor until now due to duck season is fast approaching and I throw my trolling motor on it when bass fishing. By the way its on a 12 foot v bottom

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325547#p325547 said:
BW544 » Today, 09:27[/url]"]Hey guys my grandfather gave me a old camo mercury 9.8 I do not have the year or serial as I write this but the motor is giving me problems. For starters the motor only wants to start with starting fluid unless you pull it 10 or more times, the neutral position is forward and reverse is neutral I think this is cause of when they last worked on the motor they must have not had it in neutral or something, and the motor makes hardly any rpms won't plane but when you take the cover off and throttle the carb by hand the motor takes off. I never used the motor until now due to duck season is fast approaching and I throw my trolling motor on it when bass fishing. By the way its on a 12 foot v bottom
If you continue to use starting fluid on your motor, your current problems will be trivial by comparison to what you'll soon be facing. A 2 cycle motor receives it's lubrication via the oil that is mixed with the fuel. Starting fluid contains no oil so the motor is receiving no lubrication, additionally, starting fluid will wash away any residual oil that might have been left behind by any properly mixed fuel that was run in it last. It won't take much of that to develop scored cylinders and pistons. The next time you feel the need to spray starting fluid into the carb, try squirting a little mixed fuel into it instead.

Did you check the freeze plug to see if it has the serial number stamped on it? Your statement about the shifting is a little confusing, for me at least. You said "the neutral position is forward" and "reverse is neutral". Can you clarify what is going on there? Do you mean that the reverse position is actually neutral. If this is the case, the lower unit was probably reinstalled without proper alignment of the shift shaft.

You say that you can manually open the carb and it runs good, have you watched to see what happens with the throttle linkage when you open the throttle with the tiller?

Latest posts