On board chargers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
Ok fellas, I need some of the expert opinions that exist on this fourm. I am in the palnnng stages of my 1436 build. I am think about going the on board charger route. I plan on using, if I can get a hold of 2, AGM batteries. I am going to run a 36 lb foot control on the the front and a 40-55 lb tramsom mount on the back. What are your recommendations on a decent, reasonably priced onboard charger.

You have many to choose from but the 2 best are
Dual pro And guest
they are both quality products. they both have the occasional bad one in the batch.
I have never had trouble with my dual pro and think you can't go wrong with that. If you search their site they have reconditioned units that have a 1 year warranty at a great price.
I would also suggest that you get the 10 amp per bank model as opposed to the 5 amp per bank it will charge faster and give a better charge
the 15amp per bank will be even better but the price goes up wit that one

gunny146 said:
Ok fellas, I need some of the expert opinions that exist on this fourm. I am in the palnnng stages of my 1436 build. I am think about going the on board charger route. I plan on using, if I can get a hold of 2, AGM batteries. I am going to run a 36 lb foot control on the the front and a 40-55 lb tramsom mount on the back. What are your recommendations on a decent, reasonably priced onboard charger.

Get a Guest charger and Sears PM-1 or PM-2.

Cabela's usually has some pretty good sales on Guest chargers from time to time.

That's where I bought mine for quite a substantial savings. It has been the single best investment that I have made in this boat.

This will be my second season with a BPS(BassPro) model and I have not had any issues. I have the 10amp, 2bank model.

It depends on the size of the batterys, the 10 amp bank chargers IMO should be used on nothing smaller than a group 31, were the 3 amp bank chargers should be used on nothing bigger than a group 27, On group 29 batterys i would use no more than 5 amps per bank.. That number seems to be perfect for these agm batterys as well... I lost 3 batterys when my bps charger went bad, Bps replaced the charger but i had to eat the batterys. I would get a dual 5 guest charger i think if it was me.. all the promariner chargers are the same as BPS, so rule that out and just buy the bps charger. 99% of the BPS charger problems were in the first model yrs, I probbaly wouldn't hesitate to buy anothger BPS charger right now. And i am not sure, but your BPS buddy may be able to get that 40% discount on one... Id get the dual 5 bps charger if he can get the discount...

I read a lot of reviews and decided on the Minn Kota. Get the charger before you decide where you are going to place things. I was able to load balance my batteries and place the charger in the middle and still reach them both.....just barely. The extension cords for on board chargers are expensive.

Latest posts