Onecoolcad's 1971 12' Foremost V-hull Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello new friends!

I'm onecoolcad, you can call me Chip. I'm from Gilroy, California and just aquired a 1971 12' Foremost (jc penny) v-hull restoration project from a tow yard.

My plan is to restore this baby and be ready to float by September (in time for the annual fishing trip).

I have seen lots of nice mod's here, so I'm gonna steal ideas and make this boat the envy of the 30 other guys I fish with at our Lundy Lunker Fish Fest at Lake Lundy, California in Sept.

So here are a couple of pics of "THE VIRGIN" and I will keep you posted on my progress!

Of course, any and all comments, suggestions and such will be greatly appreciated (since this is my first go at a restoration)

So far, I have cleaned this boat out, leak tested it (found a small drip [1 per 3min] at the base of the transom) I figure and good removal of the old silcone and a re-application both in and out will solve the problem.

1 problem (cosmetic) I do have is finding any type of "FOREMOST" decals or any images (on the internet) depicting what once was the lable on the rear of the boat. Another problem is the "Info Plate" that I have found on other boats. (perhaps it is behind the once repaired transom wood).

Wish me Luck!!1971 foremost (6).jpg

Attachments

• 1971 foremost (1).jpg
    1971 foremost (1).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1971 foremost (2).jpg
    1971 foremost (2).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1971 foremost (3).jpg
    1971 foremost (3).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1971 foremost (4).jpg
    1971 foremost (4).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1971 foremost (5).jpg
    1971 foremost (5).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,179
Welcome to Tinboats! Before you get too far into it, get it registered and all that good stuff. It would suck to build it up just to find out that you couldn't get it registered. Other than that, it looks like you have a very nice, clean slate to start with. Good luck, have fun with it, and be safe!

Hey, welcome aboard, Chip. You will find lots of good ideas and sound advice here. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I have been to Gilroy several times...where is Lake Lundy in relation to town?
Rick

wingsnhammers said:
Welcome to Tinboats! Before you get too far into it, get it registered and all that good stuff. It would suck to build it up just to find out that you couldn't get it registered. Other than that, it looks like you have a very nice, clean slate to start with. Good luck, have fun with it, and be safe!

The great thing about this buy was that the owner kept the registration up to date and the title is clear! Sign all the paperwork and off to my girl who does all my dmv work (no lines)!!!

rickybobbybend said:
Hey, welcome aboard, Chip. You will find lots of good ideas and sound advice here. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I have been to Gilroy several times...where is Lake Lundy in relation to town?
Rick

Lake Lundy or "Lundy Lake Resort" is about 12 miles north of Lee Vining, Ca (east side of Yosemite - Mono Lake), You take 395 north and make a left at the Junction 12 (road to Hawthorne, NV) up the road about 6 miles and the lake sits in the middle of a Canyon about 7800' above sea level, and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Attachments

• LundyLake-02.jpg
    LundyLake-02.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,137
Alrighty!

I made an AutoCad sketch of what the end result could look like. It's almost a copy of: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7047

We'll see how far it gets, this weekend! Pretty dang excited about it!

I consider this boat to be strictly a Battery Powered endevour, since the lakes I go to are very small and the conversion to the 15 hp Evenrude will be taken into consideration for larger waters.

I opted for 2 batteries because I want to have the fish finder and music on for a better part of the day while out on the water. I also included a Dry Bin because I continually find myself going into shore about 6pm and as always find that my sweatshirt, jacket or whatever is always damp or soaked (for one reason or another).

The Dry Bin will also have the patch panel for an Ipod hook-up to the speakers mounted on the bow well.

Cup Holders !!! Dang Straight buddy! I cant count the times a fine cup of Joe has christened the bottom of my boat at 6am in the morning (it usually means the beer get drank earlier!

Need to come up with pole storage and oar storage. Do they make collapsible oars?

Attachments

• 1971 Foremost Project.JPG
    1971 Foremost Project.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,096
Uh Oh!!! BONDO!!!

After a closer inspection yesterday, I found this (see pic).

Guess I will have to find a welder. Daunting task because I would have had the other project fixed if I didn't have to haul this thing 100 miles away!

:?

You know my location, so anybody in my general area know of any Aluminum Welders?

Attachments

• IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 1,057
OK Members,

I'm having a tough go of it here about this Bondo'd hole I found. All of the welders that I have contacted say or claim that the location of and type of welding needed is very expensive and next to impossible because fo the cleanliness involved with aluminum welding.

So, I guess my question is: The Bondo. Should I just leave it as-is? or should I remove and re-do the patch with Fiberglass, JB-Weld or other method?

I'm really lost here :shock:

After careful consideration and reading the great information here, I decided to abandon the major decking plan for my boat.

I modified the plan to use the bench height as my guide and deck only the bow and stern portions. The stern will be level with the bench and the bow will drop off about 3" lower than the bow bench and use an elevated pedestal for the bow seat.

The other caveats are a secure place for the cooler (Igloo Red Legend) and an area for stringers, tackle and various holders.

Talking to Vinyl Images for an Upper Hull Wrap (custom) and I'm pretty sure this will be the 99% concept.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 975

Latest posts