Onecoolcad's 1988 12' Valco "BASKETCASE"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to let the tinboat.net members give the "Thumb Up" or "Thumb Down" on the potential of this hull being restored.

The history of this boat is flaky at best, but it is title and reg clear, came with a 1988 Envenrude 15 h.p. 2 stroke and a MinKota 65 trolling moter combined with a trailer (also a basketcase but very restorable).

The whole shabang sat in a backyard for about 10 years while all the cousins, grandkids and any other earthly beings had their way with it.

In its glory years, it served its previous owner well by being a fresh water and salt water fishing boat.

Time has dealt this poor hull a beating (see pictures), as far as I can tell the hull has a whitetish corrosion all over it, I demo'd the transom (dry-rot) and pulled the old splitery seats and removed the old detriorated foam.

The hull is pitted, has some holes (some look un-repairable), but it was once somebodies baby...

The recycler said he would give me $0.40 a pound to scrap it, I bought the whole shabang for $300

It is now a far cry from its Glory Days.

So Members..... UP or DOWN?

Attachments

• 1988 12' VALCO (1).jpg
    1988 12' VALCO (1).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 1988 12' VALCO (2).jpg
    1988 12' VALCO (2).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 1988 12' VALCO (3).jpg
    1988 12' VALCO (3).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 1988 12' VALCO (4).jpg
    1988 12' VALCO (4).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,319
Hmmmm, I say go for it.......looks like all the damage could be repaired. As long as you plan on keeping her and you don't mind spending some money, I feel you could bring her back from the ashes. You will gain all kinds of knowledge from this site....plus its real fun doing it yourself.

I've got to disagree, but only because you've got that other 12' you posted about in another thread that looks like it's in better shape. I say sell this one or get the scrap price (only if no one wants to buy it) and put that money into the other one.

bigwave said:
Hmmmm, I say go for it.......looks like all the damage could be repaired. As long as you plan on keeping her and you don't mind spending some money, I feel you could bring her back from the ashes. You will gain all kinds of knowledge from this site....plus its real fun doing it yourself.

I agree! I would hate to see this mis-treated boat made into Coke Cans. Just wondering about that corrosion and the hole.

on the other hand....

amateurhour said:
I've got to disagree, but only because you've got that other 12' you posted about in another thread that looks like it's in better shape. I say sell this one or get the scrap price (only if no one wants to buy it) and put that money into the other one.

I have to agree with you too!

I don't really have the room for 2 projects, plus the $40 I could use for the building of my 1971 12' Foremost project.

Hmmmm....

I have a Good problem eh!! :wink:

The boat is fixable I don’t see anything that would scare me off, you now have to make the choice and :WELCOME: :beer:

Latest posts