Operation REVIVE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like major work, but I guess for 70 maybe its worth the work? Personally, if it was me, I would consider buying a new 12 footer since the money you are going to spend to fix that doesn't seem worth it in the long run. You might get it floatable but for how many summers, probably only one, but spend 650.00 for a new one, you will be much better off I believe. That's just my 2 cents. LOL...Thanks for your service. Both my parents ( since passed away) were WW2 vets.

fishingeezer said:
That looks like major work, but I guess for 70 maybe its worth the work? Personally, if it was me, I would consider buying a new 12 footer since the money you are going to spend to fix that doesn't seem worth it in the long run. You might get it floatable but for how many summers, probably only one, but spend 650.00 for a new one, you will be much better off I believe. That's just my 2 cents. LOL...Thanks for your service. Both my parents ( since passed away) were WW2 vets.

Sorry to hear about your parents. I'm certain they were true patriots. I'll enjoy fixing this $70 boat. Thanks!

Looking great man, despite all the negativity, you're making it happen! How will you be mounting your front deck? I will be doing the same soon and looking for some ideas.

bthompson92 said:
Looking great man, despite all the negativity, you're making it happen! How will you be mounting your front deck? I will be doing the same soon and looking for some ideas.

Thanks BThompson. I plan to use some 2x2s vertical from either the current crossmembers or make a foundation with possibly 2x4s to support it. Not quite sure yet. I'll definitely post pics along the way. I'm thinking about using lock pins on the bottom of the deck support (where it meets the boat bottom/cross members) so I can remove the entire deck for cleaning or whatever. The 2x2s at Home Depot here are 4ft long and only .86 cents each, outdoor carpet is .41 cents/sq foot and the metal brackets are all under $1.50each and I already have boxes of various hardware/screws so it's a cheap project. I'm not worried about the negativity anymore. That's just people expressing their pessimistic opinions. That's what happens on the Internet I guess. Hang in there with me and we'll both end up with nice tin boats born from a little elbow grease and ingenuity. Good luck to us! Thanks, post updates soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 919
Yeah I was thinking something similar to that, I'll be looking forward to seeing the finish project. Hopefully I can get some new stuff up soon on my own, heading to home depot today to get some plywood and such. My name is Bruce also by the way, not too often you that name these days. Good luck to you!

bthompson92 said:
Yeah I was thinking something similar to that, I'll be looking forward to seeing the finish project. Hopefully I can get some new stuff up soon on my own, heading to home depot today to get some plywood and such. My name is Bruce also by the way, not too often you that name these days. Good luck to you!

Bruce Bruce! Funny. Look how nice this paint is drying. Will add another coat tomorrow. Today I'm painting the inside. Have fun at the Depot and don't break the bank!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 594
Today's progress... 1st coat of paint on inside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 589
It looks much better. I don't know about bondo on an aluminum boat. Aluminum boats flex more than a body panels on a car. Does the anti-fouling paint you used contain copper?

AF1Sgt:

First off not to be too sappy but, thanks so much for your service! Sincerely, none of this fun with the boats would be possible if it were not for guys and gals like you keeping us all safe at home...

And... Yes, awesome work on your boat. It is really looking better than I thought it would having seen the "before" photos. You are a brave boat restorer, for sure. I think it is great. I totally understand where you are coming from. My resto project has kind of become my therapy. I have been battling stage 4 lung cancer going on about 2 years now, and stage 1 for a couple of years before that. It has become kind of a way to prove to myself that I can still be a productive member of society, and gives me something to take my mind off of any troubles I might have that day.

Keep up the great work, and you will be grinning ear to ear when it is done!

Also, I am not sure if it would be of any use to you but I used this stuff on my boat and it worked pretty well, under the right conditions. Won't do what a skilled tight welder can, but I am not a skilled tight welder... Haha.

https://www.durafix.com

Been busy with work and school and finally got around to putting a floor in today. Water proofed the wood, then added a 1/4 in piece of rubber excercise mat I had in the garage between the wood and carpet then the $.41 sq ft outdoor carpet from Home Depot. It's coming together quite nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 565
Awesome Job Sarge !!

Those numbers on the transom: 9540-00-205-? is a military National Stock Number.
And I think you know that already.
I believe it is an old Tin belonging to a military ship or ship repair facility. It has definitely
seen its tour of duty !!!!! I put my time in one as a US Navy Able Bodied Seaman back in the 1960s.

You have definitely revived an old relic !!

The name "Phoenix" would be most appropriate !!! The mythical bird rising up from the ashes.

Johnny (USN-RET)

Update

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 528
Installed a battery compartment and place to stow the anchor and rope.also added some can/bottle holders

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 520
Anchor points on all 4 corners

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 520
AF1sgt, that is quite the transformation! I love to see old beaters no one wants turned into serviceable fishing machines. The fish don't care how much a boat costs. I am really fond of your anchor storage too. I might be borrowing that idea if you don't mind.

SwampRooster said:
AF1sgt, that is quite the transformation! I love to see old beaters no one wants turned into serviceable fishing machines. The fish don't care how much a boat costs. I am really fond of your anchor storage too. I might be borrowing that idea if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all. Thought it was a genius way to store the anchor fairly flat without having to make another door plus the rope (when wet) will not have to sit on the carpet/wood. Thanks! Feel free to use it.

V/r