OPINIONS PLEASE. LOOKING AT TWO DIFFERENT BOATS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Dawg

Reaction score
LOOKING AT TWO DIFFERENT BOATS. FOR RIVER, LAKE AND SOME SALT WATER BAY USE. BOTH ARE STRUCTURALLY SOUND. COMPARE:

1997 GRUMMAN 1648 MOD VEE, CONSOLE, '97 40HP JOHNSON, NO EXTRAS $3000

VS.

2000 POLARKRAFT 1872 MOD VEE, TILLER, 2000 50HP YAMAHA, POWERHEAD, WTR PUMP, IMPELLER REPLACED AND LOWER UNIT SERVICED IN FALL OF '11, 20 HOURS ON ENGINE SINCE REPOWER. $4000

BOTH HAVE GALV TRAILERS.

WHICH IS THE BETTER BUY? QUALITY OF BOAT IS AN ISSUE I DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER BRAND.

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND INPUT.

BLUE DAWG

Hey Blue Dawg....welcome to the TinBoat family.

I don't have experience with either brand of boat that you mention, but I will tell you that the 1872 will give you more room, space and stability that you wont have in a 1648. I outgrew my first 1648 in one summer, easily.

Let us know what you get...or if you have pictures.....feel free to post them. We like pictures. :mrgreen:

Is something going on??? I made a post to this and I got notified that someone else posted but my post vanished??

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342859#p342859 said:
redbug » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Is something going on??? I made a post to this and I got notified that someone else posted but my post vanished??

Maybe you've been hexed by BA? :shock: :shock: :shock:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342860#p342860 said:
fender66 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:08 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342859#p342859 said:
redbug » 2 minutes ago[/url]"]Is something going on??? I made a post to this and I got notified that someone else posted but my post vanished??

Maybe you've been hexed by BA? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Funny you say that because it happened last night also when I posted on the thread about fishing in the rain... and that disappeared also

Back to the topic looking at the 20hrs on the motor in almost 3 years would tell me the boat has been sitting a lot the 18 will be more stable and give you more room to safely add decking and storage I have run Yamaha's for years and found them to be very reliable motors

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342862#p342862 said:
Jamison73 » 27 minutes ago[/url]"]Redbug,

Blue Dawg made two identical posts. Your post is in his other thread.

I just deleted the "double post". All the replies that were there are already in here.

Bigger is always better, especially if going out into the salt. Too bad no console on the bigger boat, but you can always add one later. But the tiller isn't so bad, once you get used to it.

-TH

i would want to know why the first powerhead failed and what was done to solve the problem -slapping another powerhead on isnt a fix if theres a rigging or fuel problem

Bigger but don't let the guy sell you his used impeller that's a yearly service item. And repairs don't add value. More then likely why the power head went.

Everyone wants money back and stuff but don't pay for needed things paying for added is ok but someone needs to eat normal maintenance and that's the seller.

Made the decision, Bit the bullet. Bought the Polar Kraft 1872. Yamaha motor is in great shape. We tank tested it. Ran flawlessly. Gonna make some minor changes but put a season on it before I make anything major. It's a heck of a lot of boat. EZ Loader trailer is way over kill. It's rated for a 8000# boat. Seller only drove 3 blocks to a ramp. I'm pumped. Picking up the rig weekend of 23-24 of March. I'll post some pics soon after I get it home. Wife's comment was priceless. "It's big enough to put a sofa in it." Big wide and stable. That was the decision point with small grandkids to go fishing.
More to come.

Bluedawg

Latest posts