Paint and Varnish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtflatlander

Reaction score
What would be the best way to finish my wood seats and wood gunnels. Should I rub paint on them than cover with spar varnish or just paint them or just varnish them. I would like them to have a color. Also would it be better to stain and varnish them. Thanks in advance for all your information

Another option would be porch enamel. The oil stuff is polyurethane. Stands up well in our sometimes harsh Midwest weather, should stay on a boat pretty good too.

As much as I love a beautifully varnished boat, I would rather be on the water than beside it! I put wood seats and a rail around the inside of my boat (1970's 14' Lowe line scout) in addition to some wood fixtures. I use boat soup- equal parts spar varnish, linseed oil, turpentine (not paint thinner- actually want the resins in the turpentine). This is a traditional finish for work boats where aesthetics are not the biggest concern. Apply spring and fall, no sanding. Not the most beautiful finish- it darkens with age, although I like the way it looks. preserves the wood and gets me on the water with minimum fuss.

As much as I love a beautifully varnished boat, I would rather be on the water than beside it! I put wood seats and a rail around the inside of my boat (1970's 14' Lowe line scout) in addition to some wood fixtures. I use boat soup- equal parts spar varnish, linseed oil, turpentine (not paint thinner- actually want the resins in the turpentine). This is a traditional finish for work boats where aesthetics are not the biggest concern. Apply spring and fall, no sanding. Not the most beautiful finish- it darkens with age, although I like the way it looks. preserves the wood and gets me on the water with minimum fuss.
Thanks Konrad That may be something to think about. I have never heard of that kind of finish

Some of the hard core traditional recipes use pine tar as well. If you want a real old timey smell and feel!.. I didn't specify in my earlier post- be sure to use boiled linseed oil or it will never dry. Boiled linseed oil takes a few days to cure, and it will be a little sticky until then.

Some of the hard core traditional recipes use pine tar as well. If you want a real old timey smell and feel!.. I didn't specify in my earlier post- be sure to use boiled linseed oil or it will never dry. Boiled linseed oil takes a few days to cure, and it will be a little sticky until then.
Thanks for the reminder
The varnish can go over the stain.....the shine of the varnish will enhance the stain !!
I think that is what I might do. Thanks Fred

For what it is worth, I made my seats out of white oak and varnished them with 6 coats of Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss.

Latest posts