Painting after sand blasting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Appal

Reaction score
Should I sand the blasted surfaces before painting? I like the feel of the blasting. Wonder how it would take paint. What do you think?

Sand blasting leaves very small pockmarks in the metal which gives paint a very strong hold on it. Sanding gives metal very small scratches which hold paint very well also. The question is how smooth do you want it to be with what kind of paint? A thicker paint will cover deeper scratches/pockmarks better than a thin paint. After the first primer coat you will really be able to better tell how smooth it will turn out.

I am using rattle cans of self-etching primer and plan to postpone painting for awhile. I was thinking that the roughened surface would provide just a little non-slip quality to the inside of the boat. I have sanded and primed the outside. Just need to clean, scuff, and paint with Rustoleum enamel. I don't want to deck the boat as it is only 12 feet long. I may put a floor in, or maybe Bedrug.

Thanks for your input.

Latest posts