Painting my alumiumn boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt tee

Reaction score
I have Rustoleum paint in rattle cans, I want to paint the boat a 2 tone brown. Do I have to prepare the finish before I get started other then just cleaning it. Some said about a vinegar and water mix to etch the aluminum. That's about it for questions, I hope I can get some answers, so I can get started, Thanks ahead of time..Pete

anywhere that's bare aluminum, should be hit with self etching primer. if you're too poor for that, then water/vinegar is better than nothing

the old paint should be scuffed to make it not shiny & remove any loose paint

everything should be cleaned with acetone before spraying

paint should be sprayed in several thin coats, especially thin on the 1st coat

Thanks my friend, I will look for that etching primer and there is no paint on the boat now and never was. I will look for the primer,. if you know of a link please send it along. I live in Pa. so I am limited. Have a Home Dept, Lowes, Tractor supply, Ace hard ware, that's about all I can think of, Right now I am still recovering from back and knee surgery, I go to do things I want to, but my body will not let me. yesterday I was moving some fire wood around and my knee told me quit now. You know what I am getting at. So I will have to have a good day to get started. So if not this year it will be next year. Thanks for your help........Pete

you can buy self etching primer @ any auto parts store like Napa, Oreilly, Advance, Autozone

and it should also be available at any hardware store including ace, lowes, home depot

not sure about tractor supply, i'd call them 1st if that's where you plan to buy it

it costs more than regular primer, & typically doesn't stay in stock, so probably a good idea to call around before driving around

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322103#p322103 said:
chevyrulz » Today, 11:17[/url]"]you can buy self etching primer @ any auto parts store like Napa, Oreilly, Advance, Autozone

and it should also be available at any hardware store including ace, lowes, home depot

not sure about tractor supply, i'd call them 1st if that's where you plan to buy it

it costs more than regular primer, & typically doesn't stay in stock, so probably a good idea to call around before driving around
Just FYI... take Lowe's off you list, at least the one in Fenton, MO. They had it when I bought in early April, and now they dont carry it. The Depot will have it... Rustoleum Self-Etching Primer in Profession Gray. Good luck!

Rustoleum makes self-etching primer in white also. The can will say "Aluminum Primer"

You can also use Moeller Zinc Chromate primer, either yellow or green.

Aluminum immediately reacts with air to form aluminum oxide on its surface. It is this oxide coating that keeps it from rapidly corroding, but unfortunately, that coating also prevents conventional paint methods, and a self-etching primer must be used. So, either the rust-o-leum, or the moeller brand will be fine, just don't use regular paint primer, or the paint will flake and chip off the surface.

As an additional step, before priming and painting aluminum, I always like to apply some phosphoric acid (a.k.a. "Ospho") to the surfaces, to let it do some etching, and to clean off any remaining soot from welding that the wire brush may have missed.

You don't have to do that, but using the acid etcher turns the surface into aluminum phosphate, rather than aluminum oxide, which IMHO, probably gives the primer and the paint a better bonding surface.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=322191#p322191 said:
Ranchero50 » Today, 11:43[/url]"]Maroon Scotchbrites work wonders for bare aluminum prep as well.
Yes to this, and also drywall sanding sponges

True.

However, remember that most abrasives such as sandpaper, contain aluminum oxide, the one thing that causes issues with paint adhesion. So, it's very important to remove all sanding residue before priming and painting to ensure the best adhesion. Again, this is where I think the Ospho does a good job, as it is chemically converting the oxide to phosphate.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just need something that will etch the metal and get it ready for painting. I don't have a primer yet so I am leaning towards the Primer and etching in one, Its a small 12ft Semi V, so its not a big deal, There is no paint on the boat so it should make things easy

Latest posts