Painting the exterior of a fiberglass boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR

Reaction score
The red color of my boat is noticeably fading as some sections of the red are turning into a minor off-white/yellow color. (not huge but you can see it if you look closely)

IMG_4175%7E0.jpg

When I did my boat overhaul and fixing earlier in the year, painting the exterior is really the only thing I didn't do but for sometime in the future, I think it should be done.

What is the proper procedure for doing such things?

What kind of paint would be needed? Since I fish 24/7, how long would it take for the boat to dry before being usable again?

In my situation, would it be worth it to re-paint it in the same cherry red color, eventually? If not, I'm fine with the boat and the quality of color, "as-is".

Thanks.

Andrew - you do not "paint" fiberglass - you need to restore / redo your gel coat. There are a number of good restoration products out there - many thatwill fix your faded spots right up.

Since your damage looks very minor, a gel coat polish and re-finish will likely fix it up nicely

I agree with that Capt....and if someones looking that closely at the boat just smack em in the head:)...they probably won't do it again.

Jim said:
Or if you got the coin to spend you can give the boat a fishing-headquarters wrap. 8)

:lol: I was thinking of just a few 2 or 3 foot decals but nothing too big nor serious. HAHAHAHA.
I did throw up a few Tinboats bumper stickers you had sent me onto the trailer, so thank you for that!

Okay, since I don't need to paint and since I'm a complete NOOB at this sort of work, how do you restore and re-do the gel coat, or polish since it's minor?

Are there any links for this?

Thanks a bunch...

Latest posts