Please help with motor issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkd

Reaction score
I had a 25hp evenrude tiller model, and it was giving me a lot of problems , so I switched out with a Mercury 35hp console style. When I ran the motor at home with the hose it seemed to run fine. I go today to take the wife out in it and it wont stay started like its choking out. I know this isn't the best way to get a diagnostic report but I don't know anything about motors so and info on this motor would be appreciated the only number I see on this motor is the ser# 0B134164 Mercury Oil Injected 35hp. Thanks ahead of time.

I ask first when last time impeller for cooling was replaced. Then if water was flowing to cool as required when it was running.

What changed from home to launch?
What does motor require to run? It had gas,air and spark at home.
A two stroke can load up faster than expected with lots of idling and then foul plugs.We are asking them to burn alot of oil.A first thing for me to change in an unhappy motor, new ones of correct number with correct gap.
Vent for fuel system,usually at/on fuel tank may not be allowing (quality it is hoped,preferred non ethanol and fresh!) fuel to flow.Be sure tank and lines are clean. New style tanks are not vented like old ones were.Is oiler functioning?It and impeller prevent failure from friction and overheating.
Not saying run without cover in place, but choke plate(or plates if multiple carburetors) is controlled by linkage that can be eyed when not running, and is it functioning properly.
Hard to diagnose till knowing whats missing from when it ran proper....Sounding like its choking out could be from not being able to burn fuel or not getting enough of it or enough air with it. (The supply and mixture at carb(s) combined with spark from ignition.)
A contaminated carburetor or multiples will not allow proper function,not enough fuel can get through.Lots of gunk in fuel line at end towards motor a sure sign. Check for sludge/corrosion from ethanol fuel eating fuel lines.If its damaging lines, then carb(s) are polluted.
Were it on my drive way ,after fresh sparkplugs were installed, fuel system check for cleanliness would be next.Followed by a visual look at carb or carbs and related linkage and reaction to control movements.
Good luck. The more you learn ,(manuals can help too)about you motor the better it gets.

Thanks a lot "Waterwaif" some of the points you mentioned where greek to me but, I did get the idea. The motor had been sitting for two years in the elements. The gas and mixture was fresh, I was pissing water like it was supposed to. When I left the boat ramp it started just fine, it ran fine out of the no wake zone for about 300 yds, then when I went full throttle there seemed to be no increase in power, so I thaught the choke was opened so I flipped the lever and it died (realizing it wasn't opened it was closed). I can get it to start and then it shuts down after about 5 sec. I can probably find my way through changing the plugs other than that I may have to fine a mechanic. Thank you again for the insight.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326496#p326496 said:
Inkd » Today, 17:46[/url]"]Thanks a lot "Waterwaif" some of the points you mentioned where greek to me but, I did get the idea. The motor had been sitting for two years in the elements. The gas and mixture was fresh, I was pissing water like it was supposed to. When I left the boat ramp it started just fine, it ran fine out of the no wake zone for about 300 yds, then when I went full throttle there seemed to be no increase in power, so I thaught the choke was opened so I flipped the lever and it died (realizing it wasn't opened it was closed). I can get it to start and then it shuts down after about 5 sec. I can probably find my way through changing the plugs other than that I may have to fine a mechanic. Thank you again for the insight.

I would have stayed with the evinrude. night and day difference in dependability 95% of the time.....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326529#p326529 said:
JMichael » 28 minutes ago[/url]"]
shawnfish said:
night and day difference in dependability 95% of the time.....

I'd be interested in seeing any creditable sources you might have that backs up those statistics. :lol:

statistics meaning older(40hp and under pre 1990) Johnson/evinrude's are more dependable than older mercurys????

look on any outboard forum that has a separate forum for each manufacturer and theres thousands more johnny/rude threads than any other make of OB. now some might think that that means more threads = more problems.... but they would be dead wrong! it means theres more of them old war horses still running because as far as dependability is concerned theres a night and day difference between them and every other small(under 40hp) OB company,
and in my opinion I think them old OMC's are more dependable than the OB's being sold today in that HP range... quieter? more fuel efficient? no......but they were built to last and that is what they are and will keep doing..... I bet in 2043 there will be very very few 2013 25hp OB's still running.....but that's just what I think and theres a lot of people that would agree. but theres my sources for my statistics above...give or take a couple percents......

lol! can you tell im an OMC fan?

Latest posts