Predator Hunting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you all have me all fired up. Packing up and heading out for another try at coyotes. I checked the seasons and MO doesn't have gray/red fox season posted for 2013. I'm definitely going to check that out this year.

I wish we could night hunt. As it stands right now, we're only allowed to night hunt for hogs. The only predator we can shoot at night is a bobcat, and that's only when it's been treed by dogs.

We are fortunate in VA to be able to hunt at night. A few restrictions. No shining light from a vehicle, light cannot be plugged into the vehicle, furbearers and varmints. We like the FoxPro brand e-calls, which are also legal in VA. Decoys do help.

We call lots of greys, bobcats and coyotes here and there. Two or three years ago I wanted to give a night hunt a go with the bow after seeing a guy shoot a hog at night with one on youtube. First night out and I smoked one. Since then we managed to take 4 greys with the bow at night and one that we did not recover. Countless others with rifle and shotgun.

Night hunting can really get the adrenaline pumping when you're watching those glowing eyes get closer and closer.

A couple of guys I know that hunt coyotes together were out hunting one day. They laid up in some tall grass just waiting on something to take the bait when one of them just happens to turn around and look over his shoulder. A coyote was standing about 4 feet behind them. Scared the crap out of them and the coyote, so they always take a shotgun and a rifle with them now. :lol:

I hunt yotes mostly at night, but some times during the day too. Wind is the key, play the wind ALWAYS.
This is what usually always works at night.. I use a Redrock tape caller.
First you use a locater call (coyote howling) for about 3-5min straight , if you hear them howl back it's on like donkey kong! Usually!! Wait about 5min This is where I change my game up from time to time when hunting the same spots over and over Use either a woodpecker or cottontail in distress call for 3 or so min straight, then stop and give it a few min then scan the area with a spotlight w/red lense (night hunting) be ready to shoot!! This is usually all it takes for me to bag one. Now if you don't see anything hit the locater again3-5 min but this time start your volume loud and slowley turn it down over the course of the 3-5 min. If you don't get a response back then they are either creeping in or burning out . Wait a few min then try the same distress call you used before this time start loud and work the volume low like you did your second locater sesion. Let it play a couple of min on real low volume this will bring a coyote / fox or bobcat in close. Scan the area with a light and be ready to shoot!! Most of the time you will see their eyes before anything when you do keep the light on em until you can ID the target then Give it to em! If you take to long or take the light off of a predator it will surely disappear, you normally get one chance when your at this point make it count.. If I don't locate a coyote within 20-30 min I usually switch stands, and try again.

Pan,

old topic, but I couldn't resist. If there are turkey in the area, use turkey sounds. Ive called coyotes on the river bottoms during and out if turkey season using hen clucks and purrs.

riverrat174 said:
Pan,

old topic, but I couldn't resist. If there are turkey in the area, use turkey sounds. Ive called coyotes on the river bottoms during and out if turkey season using hen clucks and purrs.
Thanks River rat! That makes sense. We don't have many rabbits in woods, but lots of turkeys and fawns. Ill give it a try next time out just to see if I can spot some.