Problem?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreyprashaw

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 15 HP evinrude. I know nothing about OB's so I figured I'd ask the pros. I have a 14 foot starcraft mariner with a front deck, gas tank, bow mount TM, one battery, and plywood floors. The ply wood is all 1/2 inch. I can only get this motor going 12 mph. It seems unusual that boats of similar size and motor are hitting the 20 mph mark, and I am not. Boat does plane, but it gets to full speed very quickly. Any help as to if my motor is functioning properly would be great!

Alright boss! Any ways I can cut weight down? My Deck is small, but like I said there is plywood running throughout the boat. Anyone have any tried and tested tricks?

Only real way to cut weight, is either take out the wood or switch it all over to aluminum!

Sticking with the 15hp, you choose bare bones with more speed or more luxury with slower speeds. I think 12mph is fine for nice little fishing boat. You just have to decide what you want. That may include moving up to larger motor.

Check and make sure the rpms are where they should be for that motor. Also check and make sure you have the proper prop for it. We assume it is running good since you don't mention any issues in that regard. I think it should run faster, my 14ft lund with 15hp mariner did.
Tim

Yea, the motor runs fine. Starts on first pull. How would I go about checking the RPMs and what should they be at? Also aluminum is what my supports are made out of. I looked up the weight on aluminum vs plywood, and plywood weighed less as a result of surface area mass.

Doesn't sound too far off what it should be to me? My boat is a 14' Starcraft SF140DLX, side console, full floor, livewell, trolling motor... I have a 25hp Merc and my very best speed, just me in the boat, minimal gear, tailwind- 25mph. With 2 people I get maybe 21mph. I think you can spend tons of money in lightening the boat but only get a few mph. If speed is an issue the best thing you can do is max your boats hp rating.

Latest posts