Putting a kicker on a 14' boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_c

Reaction score
I have a 14' boat rated for 30 HP. I have a 35 HP 'Rude on it, and the transom is reinforced with aluminum plate and the aluminum frame for the deck I put on it. I am considering getting a small 3-6 HP gas kicker for it for small lakes and back up. The beam is 62", and there is enough room but it would be tight. My main concerns are weight, obviously, as well as how much control I'll have with the tiller placed where it is. Is this a possibility or should I just get an electric and save the headache? The boat will have an AGM deep cycle anyway so the weight difference will only be the electric motor. Obviously gas is more power, and doesn't rely on a battery charge in a situation where the main motor is out. If anyone else has a small kicker on their 14-15' boat, what did you end up going with for second motor?

I have a 14 ft Smokercraft with a 20 hp on it and run a 55lbs thrust Minnkota Traxxis. I can get almost 2 mph out of the TM. I dont see how you would get the outboard kicker on there and still be able to move. It is tight with my TM.

It depends on how you plan to use it.

You said "small lakes and back up". Are the small lakes HP restricted? If not, just use the big motor. If they are restricted, then the kicker would be really nice to have, but cumbersome at the same time.

In terms of back up, it depends on the waters you fish. If you are on really large lakes where an electric trolling motor isn't enough to get you to safety, then the kicker would be nice. If you are on small to medium lakes, then an electric trolling motor should be plenty to get you out of trouble.

The water I cover is very large lakes, power restricted lakes, ocean, fast moving rivers etc. I do think that the gas kicker would be cumbersome, but a 2-3 hp even with an internal tank would be awesome if I could make it work.

Latest posts