Question about using 3M 5200 to mount transducer on transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
I've read some post were guys are using 3M 5200 to mount a piece of cutting board to transom to mount transducer to. My question about the 3M 5200 is that it says use within 24 hours after puncturing the inner seal on tube. I have a tube that I opened a couple months ago and has been sealed with the top on. do you think it will still be good to use for mounting the cutting board to transom or should I just buy a new tube? It is the quick curing type. Just wondering if anybody else has used it that has been opened for awhile.

The top will be cured, but you can punch a small hole in the side of the tube and squeeze it out from there. The reason they say to use it all at once is that the top cures the tube shut. As long as it still flows, it will work fine. Just make sure to wear a pair of rubber gloves. That stuff does not come off.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm going to put a hole in the side of tube and try it today.

+1 for opening up the side of the tube. If it's not cured, it's fine to use.

Have denatured alcohol solvent and a rag handy. 5200(and 4200) is messy stuff that needs to be cleaned up right away. Denatured alcohol cuts it fine.

Mineral spirits cleans it off too. I had a tube that after use I put in a ziplock bag in the fridge and it lasted for 4-5 months without sealing shut. It did eventually then I poked hole in the side to get to the good stuff.

Latest posts