Quick ? Before towing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezdrama

Reaction score
With a small 15hp evinrude outboard and the clearance in the pic.... should i tow boat with motor down or tilt it up?
Do i need a transom saver or this motor isnt big enough to worry?
Thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405780654455.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405780654455.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 696
I would tilt it up. If it locks in the tilted position you can get away without a transom saver. Mine doesn't lock so I use one.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360086#p360086 said:
gillhunter » 19 Jul 2014, 11:02[/url]"] If it locks in the tilted position you can get away without a transom saver.
I disagree - with the motor up every bump transfers the weight of the motor to the transom. A transom saver is just that - a transom saver. While the motor will still bounce a bit in the down position, it is not nearly as bad as when it is up. From the picture it does not look like you have a lot of clearance between the skeg and the pavement. A brace from the back of the trailer to the lower unit is not that hard to make. Mine is a 2"X2" with a bungee on one end and a U shaped bracket that fits the rear cross-member of my trailer.

Just to get it home I would risk it, but would be thinking about it the whole way. Then I would be getting a transom saver.

Ok, guess ill be getting a transom saver, didnt know if they where only needed for heavy big outboards

Id get a jack plate. Long shaft motor on a short transom. Then I would leave it down and roll. Plus you will gain some performance.

x3 for the transom saver . . . cheap insurance . . . search my "Redneck Transom Saver" made for around 5 bucks, and I never have to remove it from the trailer during launch or recovery.

I always tow my boat with the motor in running position is there a reason anyone should tilt it up other than road clearance?

Patriot... that diy transom saver looks great. So you just leave it mounted to the trailer? Did you use metal or pvc?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360245#p360245 said:
Analog Kid » 20 Jul 2014, 18:01[/url]"]I always tow my boat with the motor in running position is there a reason anyone should tilt it up other than road clearance?

nope.

Latest posts